Trashy Tuesday, Garage Sale leftovers, and my Junque Posse

Le Junque

1. Susan Stacy says:

I love your blog and you are very talented and creative! But, please, “it’s” is a contraction of “it + is”. “It’s” is not possessive. “I spied this on it’s side this morning . . . ” should be “I spied this on its side this morning . . .” I don’t mean to sound like a frustrated English teacher, but it really detracts from the content.

• Jan says:

That “it’s” thing drives me crazy too, but I see it everywhere these days. Guess not too many of us paid attention in English grammar class! Sometimes, though, it’s just typing too fast and, as I’m sure you’re aware, proof-reading one’s own writing is the hardest thing to do 🙂 These days, My brain is dictating far more quickly than my fingers can keep up, and I’ve made my legal as a legal secretary for over 40 years (still going, just like the Energizer Bunny). When I read my blog posts, I see errors all over the place, they make me cringe. Sometimes I even go back and fix them, but mostly I don’t have the time to fuss. Such is life in the 21st century, alas.

• mj says:

And so we all change the language we inherited. Change is inevitable but not enviable when it makes the language hard to understand. And I have no trouble with comprehension here.

btw, if it matters, I find it helps me to remember that the apostrophe is standing in for the omitted ‘ i’ in is. It’s = it is. Then the possessive ‘its’ finds its place right well. Most of the time…LOL

It seems to me that a blogger who blogs daily, writing her story as she goes, and who dumpster dives, repairs and paints and then finds homes for what she creates, deserves a little leeway in the spelling dept.

But some people are like me and sometimes comment because we are as driven to keep the language in order as others are driven to rescue, repair, and re-paint. We all have our passions, but our comments are not enough to spin the globe out of control if we post ’em. Pass on by and let these issues not turn us against each other, okay? Thanks for reading…MJ

2. Joanne D. says:

No matter how it reads, I love your blog. Keep it coming!

3. An entourage, hmmm….I don’t know if I could handle having people look for me because I’m already stashed! Great idea, Karen, and love your table minus the leg. I just inherited a gorgeous coffee table with one leg said to be broken, but it’s an easy fix. Score!

4. Beth N says:

Love your blog and Trashy Tuesday is my favorite! I wish I lived in a climate I could store some of my stash outside so it was not taking up my entire living and dining room! No garage either so it gets tricky. Thank you for continuing to make me laugh and inspire me to pursue the vision I see for others trash.

To Susan: Sorry honey but you do sound like a frustrated English teacher. While I feel good grammar is important in most instances, you need to lighten up a little. To let something like that detract from the content (which is fun and informative) is silly. She shares so many talents with us all, we can certainly overlook such an error Heck I did not even notice it but it is not my strong suit either. We all have different strengths and weaknesses after all, life is too short to focus on the negative. Just my two cents! Peace everyone!

5. That lamp is beyond awesome… looking forward to the table makeovers!
    xo Heidi

6. Oh I see you found a girlfriend for Manny (was that his name? Lol) I need to work on my junque-terage. I do have my son trained though, he is so excited to tell me when he spies something in my neighborhood by the road on trash day! Love to see your posts in my inbox 🙂

As always great finds! I want a vintage dress form – I keep looking for the exact one I want. I have one but not the one I really want!

8. Mark Twain says:

Should be “love my new gal friend”, and perhaps “avec” a new Redoux pin. No worries though.

9. Nina says:

Yes, the lamp matches your personality. So what left to allow you to bring home more junque?

10. Kate says:

I can’t wait to see what you do with the three legged side table!

11. Carla Lindblom says:

LOVE all the fun things you share with us! Your grateful attitude and positive way of looking at life is so uplifting. We all make errors when we blog or comment on instagram, etc. spelling included! ha….Just spend your time and worries on your family and sharing with us!! Never understand people who leave comments that are not positive and add to the fun. LIFE IS TOO SHORT AND YOU HAVE IMPORTANT PEOPLE TO TAKE CARE OF….besides sharing with us….Many thanks….

12. Jan says:

Hola! Where I live (in Greenfield in SE Wisconsin), the municipality has contracted out trash pick-up. We get two free pick-ups a year via that contractor that we can schedule specially for the truck to come and take it off, take it off, take it ALL off our property, heh heh…

Okay, seriously, probably nobody who reads here is old enough to remember that particular Aqua Velva commercial, ahem. Have you inquired at your Department of Public Works or equivalent in your municipality if they have such a service? The cost for a “special” pick-up in my area is $20, and you can pile up as much as you want. Here, it has to be at curbside and smaller items that are not easily corralled need to be in cardboard boxes (no plastic bags). Check out your own DPW, you may be surprised by what they’ll come and pick up for free or a modest charge added to your property taxes at the end of the year. P.S. Sometimes they forget to add the extra charge 🙂 I called my city a few years ago and inquired about having a street tree put on one side of my yard. They were happy to oblige for $190. I said okay. They came early spring last year and planted one (wrong color, wrong spot), and I never got a bill for that little ol’ tree that I tenderly nursed through the drought and extreme temps (often 100 plus degrees, in SE Wisconsin!) of 2012. So, if you haven’t already done so (in which case, my apologies), please check it out.

13. I have that lamp – maybe they need to be a matched pair so they can all do the waltz together! Great to have friends that work at estate sales too – love the dress form!