Sewing Cabinet Painted Red and Waxed

Furniture and Cabinetry Redouxs, Furniture Makeovers, Tutorials

Sewing Cabinet Painted Red and Waxed
red sewing cabinet with dog treats cece caldwells jersey tomato redouxinteriors
I know we have all seen a variation on the theme.  An old Sewing cabinet, or sewing table gets a makeover Guess what, mine got a makeover twice!

Sewing Cabinet makeover before redouxinteriors
Several years ago I found this sewing cabinet at thrift store for about $5.  That officially qualifies it as a piece of junk.  It was not in lovely condition and needed repairs.  I don’t have the before, before picture.  SORRY!
I painted it black and white, then went to town with Dark Wax.  Blek.  I didn’t like it from the get go, but I thought I would try to sell it anyhow.  BIG SURPRISE.  No one else fell in love with it either.
I brought it home and put it in the corner near my dog’s bed.  It worked perfect for a place to hold the doggie treats, a chippy bucket I made a long time ago (which happens to be red too….) and coupons and misc in the cabinet part.  I always intended to paint over it, but never got around to it.
Thanks to my new group of awesome DIY furniture girls, I had a reason to paint it, and paint it red!  I mixed 3 parts CeCe Caldwell’s Jersey Tomato Red and 1 part Kailua Coral. I wanted a pinky red, and this was perfect.
cece caldwells kailua coral and jersey tomato red redouxinteriors
I only had to paint one coat.  When this was dry, I lightly sanded it and waxed it with CeCe Caldwell’s 100% natural waxing cream.  By the way, if you haven’t tried it, it is amazing.
CeCe Caldwells waxing cream redouxinteriors
To use, take just a spoonful of wax out and place on a piece of cardboard.  This is seriously all you will need.I place a little on my waxing brush at a time.
As soon as you are finished waxing, you can immediately begin buffing. Not waiting for the wax to set up.  I love the smooth, glass like finish I get every time, and I use so little product, one can will last me a long time.
red sewing cabinet cece caldwells jersey tomato red redouxinteriors
 With the holidays upon us, you might be looking around for where you can add some pops of red to your decor.  Check out all these gorgeous projects in RED from my DIY furniture friends.
PS If you liked this sewing cabinet makeover, you might enjoy THIS one as well……

19 Comments

1. Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

I had to leave my two red pieces even though I am pretty sure I have linked them up before. I love red furniture! It is so gorgeous and adds spice to your home.

Love the custom color!

2. Marie@The Interior Frugalista

Red is my favorite color and so when I saw the theme this month is red I was so excited to see what everyone came up with. Your sewing cabinet is perfect in red with the dark stained top. It just sings with personality!

• GTC

Thanks so much Marie! I am really enjoying looking at everyone’s projects. Such a talented group!

3. karin

Karen, I love this cabinet for the DOG LOL..
    I am in love with those new colors too…and very interested in that hard wax..Looks AMAZING!
    Great job as always girl!
    Hugs,
    Karin

4. Jeanette

My dogs would love a sewing machine cabinet!!! Very cute. Jeanette

5. Breanna

I love the pinky red color you created, it’s beautiful!

6. Paula@SweetPea

Pretty color! I’ll bet that this will sell after this makeover.

I need to try CeCe Caldwell wax. It looks like a great product and I love that you only need a tiny bit.

• GTC

Thanks Paula. This cabinet I am keeping, my dog loves it too. You will love that wax!

7. Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Glad to have you sharing with us, Karen! I love that red, especially the purpose of the table…fun! :o)

• GTC

Thanks so much Larissa! So happy to be included among such talented ladies!

• GTC

Thanks so much Christy! Once you try the paint, you won’t want to use anything else 🙂

8. Wendi @ H2OBungalow

Karen… Love the red mix of the two colors.. I have some pieces that “no one fell in love with” too! This one would go in a minute with the new makeover, so pup is a lucky dog!

• GTC

Thank you Wendi! I am so much happier with it now, and I think my dog is too 😉

9. Christy @ Our Southern Home

I’ve never been much of a red person, but I’m feeling so inspired with this tour. I am loving the red with the stained top! Just gorgeous!!! ~Christy

• GTC

Thank you Christy! I love a little red here and there, and especially with a natural wood tone 🙂

10. Nancy @ Artsy Chicks Rule

It’s a stunner now!!! Love that shade of red Karen…and so happy to have you joining us!! 🙂 xo

Nancy