Master Bathroom Makeover How To Paint a Sub Floor

Furniture and Cabinetry Redouxs, Tutorials

Master Bathroom Makeover How To Paint a Sub Floor Master bathroom makeover low budget redouxinteriors

And…I had ZERO budget.  You got that right.  ZERO budget to makeover of my Master Bathroom.  I wanted a Farm House look and I had to get very creative with everything I had on hand.  Paints, glazes, and the biggest conundrum of all, what to do with the floor when we pulled up that awful carpet.

master bathroom makeover with painted subfloors before redouxinteriors

The first thing I did was make those “what was I thinking” bright yellow walls disappear.  I painted them in Sherwin Williams Repose Grey.  (Which I had quite a bit of from another project).

**Update, since this post writing I no longer use CeCe paints.  Some of the colors and products I used are no longer available.  I have found something I love even more.  DIY Paints from Debi’s Design Diary.  100% natural Clay Paint, only 9 ingredients + love.  Super fun labels, video tutorials.  Definitely worth checking out.  DIY Poster smaller

When the walls were completed, I turned my attention to the floors.  I knew sanding, smoothing and ultimately painting a sub floor was a huge job, but I was determined to keep my costs at almost zero.  What I really wanted was new wood flooring with a weathered look.  What my budget was saying, “figure out a way to make it look like weathered wood”.  So I did just that.  I came up with a layered glaze method, used a trowel to make “faux” plank lines.  I was over the top pleased with how it came out.  You can do this too.  With some patience and little practice, you can have a gorgeous hard wood look, with practically no cost. I used a combination of CeCe Caldwell’s paints and Sherwin Williams paints I had on hand.

painted sub floor with cece caldwells paints and glaze redouxinteriors

Watch my video to see how I transformed that awful OSB board to THIS!

**Post publish edit!  To create the “planks” I used a straight edge, use a yardstick, long straight stick, it doesn’t matter.  Roughly Pencil in lines where you want your planks to go.  I varied the width and the length.  It was helpful to have a picture of rustic plank flooring next to me for my inspiration.

Keep that straight edge handy, you will want to use it with each layer of paint and glaze you put on your floor (the pencil lines will disappear).  If you noticed in the pictures, I overlapped the area where the “planks” would meet up when painting, meaning, I kept the straight edge slightly over the line, so the dark glaze would not get covered up by subsequent layers.  This creates more depth and definition.

When the flooring was completed, I turned my attention to the cabinets.  I knew I wanted the look of real wood, but again, zero budget.  I used my favorite, and (most popular post) Wood Glaze Treatment.  I used CeCe products for this, but would recommend using DIY Paints and Liquid Patina for the glaze.  Liquid Patina is a clear coat that also works as a glaze, a decoupage medium, transfer medium, and a sealer!

paint that looks like wood on cabinets redouxinteriors

My towel racks were not my taste and my main towel rack had broken about a year before, leaving us to put our towels over our shower stall to dry.  A habit I am afraid to say took some time to break after I had a gorgeous new towel rack.  I love the Farm House look of my towel rack now, and it cost me nothing! upcycled towel rack from dresser parts with candles redouxinteriors

I made the main towel rack from the top of a dresser part that held part of a mirror.  I turned it upside down and used an all natural stain, I would recommend DIY Paints Dark and Decrepit Patina to get the same effect.  .  I added two little legs from a stool I had found some time before in a Dumpster.  These turned upside down make great towel hooks! upcycled towel rack made from dresser parts redouxinteriors

For my hand towel holders, I used the same method with the remaining two legs from the stool.  I used a piece of Moulding (again I picked up for free), painted it with CeCe Caldwell’s Mississippi Mud (what I had on hand) (DIY Paint in Prairie Gray, Faded Burlap or Layered Chocolate are all great choices)  then darkened it with a Glaze tinted with a stain.  Pretty Gorgeous huh?Towel rack made from moulding and junk redouxinteriors

In keeping with the Farmhouse look I was creating, I knew I wanted flowers in my bathroom to soften up the grays and dark wood.  I cut the last of my Hydrangeas in all of their beautiful shades.  I used an old drawer (yep, a Dumpster find).  old drawer with hydrangeas before redouxinteriors

I filled it with leftover yogurt and cream cheese containers.  These are perfect for holding Hydrangea bloomsold drawer with containers for flowers redouxinteriors

The wood was in sad shape, dried out, etc.  I went over the entire drawer, even the white painted front with several coats of a natural stain.  I filled the drawer with the last of my Hydrangeas and it fills in a dead space on the counter top with a beautiful reflection.

upcycled drawer into hydrangea holder redouxinteriors

I have used DIY Dark and Decrepit Liquid Patina (all natural) on several wood projects now, it works great as a stain on raw wood, and perfect as darkening agent over wood that needs to be cleaned up, thin it with water or Chrystal Clear Liquid Patina and you have a perfect glaze.

I needed a new make up tray to go with new bathroom!  I used an old sample cabinet door.sample cabinet door turned makeup tray before redouxinteriors

Once again, broke out the stains.  I painted the cabinet in one coat of CeCe Caldwell’s Simply White.  When dry, I went over it with the an all natural stain.  I did a fun trick with a VIDEO coming soon to show how.  I spritzed water on the stain before it was dry and blotted it with a paper towel to get that weathered look.  I used small mason jars to hold makeup brushes. The little box is a gift from my mom from Anthropology, many years ago.  I love the rustic Farm house look it has, again, FREE. old cabinet door turned makeup tray redouxinteriors

I also spiffed up the little vanity stool I have had for years.  Sad to say, it has maintained the worn velvet covering and dried out wood for the 11 years it has sat in my Master Bathroom.

vanity stool before redouxinteriors

I recovered the pad with black and white ticking I had in my fabric stash.  The dried out wood on the stool was an easy fix.  I used 6 coats of an all natural stain to refresh it.  Not only did the wood soak it all up and come back to life, but it became soft again.  I burnished the finish with the non inked side of a brown paper bag.  It is like using super fine sandpaper.  You can check out how to do this in my CeCe Caldwell’s Endurance Video. Burnishing like this makes your pieces as smooth as glass. sewing stool upcycled cece caldwells stains redouxinteriors

When I completed all these projects, I did decide to splurge a bit on new towels and a few new area rugs.   I   snuck in that lamp as well.  I purchased these items at my local HomeGoods.painted sub floor with cece caldwells paints and glaze redouxinteriors

Oh how I love my Master Bathroom at night when only the lamp is on.  I DO feel like I have stepped into a high end Spa retreat.  I have the satisfaction of knowing, I did it all myself with upcycled an all natural projects. And it cost so little! Lamp in master bathroom redouxinteriors

There are so many components about my bathroom I love. If I had to choose just one thing in my Master Bathroom makeover, it would be the painted sub floors.  I am amazed at how DIY Paints can can transform just about any surface. master bathroom makeover with cece caldwells paints redouxinteriors

If you want to come over and check out my Master Bathroom and my painted sub floors, give me a buzz.  I am quite happy to give you the tour!  And I just might show you how to makeover your Master Bathroom and Paint a Sub Floor while you are here 🙂 signature

26 Comments

1. Amy Poindexter

Oh my word…you are an absolute genius! Your creativity amazes me!! It is such a beautiful bathroom makeover!! Thank you for sharing all of your ideas and the products you use to achieve your creations!!

2. cassie

i am so impressed, karen! those floors look amazing!

3. Rayana

Omg! You never seize to amaze me. Your creativity is so inspiring! Keep up the awesome work!!!

4. chris aka monkey

girl friend this looks so dang gorgeous wow i love it xx

5. Diana

The floor looks fabulous and the bench turned out great. I can’t wait for the next project.

6. Shannon @ Fox Hollow Cottage

Watch out.. “Master at work” 😉 Amazing transformation. Love that you were able to perform it primarily with paint and stain combos, yet it looks like a zillion bucks. You are one talented cookie!!

7. Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

Wow, I love how it turned out and how smart using all those upcycled items. The bathroom is now updated, fresh and inviting.
    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

8. Shelly Andrade

Oh Karen, your bathroom looks AMAZING! You tied everything together so beautifully with your color choices. Love how you turned your Mississippi Mud mishap into even another layer for our beautiful floor! It totally ROCKS!!! and would look amazing in our 100 year old farm house so…. when you coming over 😀 Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving with your amazing family!!

9. Jan

I watched your video on how you did the floor but still not clear on how your got the “lines” in to make it actually look like a wood plank floor. Whatever you did, it looks great. I also really like the pretty grey walls and the white painted trim contrasted with the dark stained cabinets. Very chic! Congratulations on an incredible redo for practically no $$. Where there is a will, there is a way!

10. Suzan

This turned out absolutely spectacular Karen !!!
    LOVE !
    XOXO

11. Brandi

Your bathroom is gorgeous and your floors stunning! Awesome makeover!!!

12. Roxanne

Wow, very impressive on a zero budget! LOVE the floors!

13. Lisa@2PerfectionDecor

Just saw your feature over at Savvy Southern Style.. Wow.. your bathroom transformation is amazing, It looks great.. And i love what you did to an old drawer.. The dried hydrangeas look beautiful. Very inspirational!!

14. Nancy

simply amazing!
    You did an awesome job! Fabulous!
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

15. Anne

I agree with the comments above that the look of your bathroom makeover is fabulous. I need to point out, however, that it is extremely unwise to treat a sub floor as a finished floor. Not covering a sub floor interferes with the structural integrity of a building. Leaving it exposed can prove unsafe for the occupants of a home, and lead to costly repairs. This plan might save money in the short run, but will be expensive in the long run.

• GTC

Thanks for pointing this out Anne. I took measures to thoroughly seal the sub floor, add trim to the gaps between the floor and the walls, and the carpets all have thresholds. This is a small area and not a major room. Many people have much success with pulling up carpet, sealing the concrete underneath, or painting and finishing a sub floor. Manufactured hard wood is full of cancer causing Formaldehyde and carpeting is just as bad. Sealing a sub floor is not only a safe and cost effective option when you take the time to “finish” it, but it can be far better for your health too.

16. Shannon

Hi, I have a question. I would love to try this technique with the glaze creating a faux wood grain look, and in your tutorial you have step 1 as applying the varnish. Is this necessary? You also mention to paint it a base color first, so I’m confused. Base color, then varnish, then glaze ?

Also , with the Cece products you used for the bathroom, you don’t really specify what you did here. Could you elaborate a little?

I love it by the way !!
    Thank you.

17. スーパーコピー腕時計,ロレックスコピー,ブライトリングコピー,ボーム&メルシエコピー時計コピー業界最高峰スーパーコピー時計通販専門!7年以上の販売実績を 持つ時計コピー老舗!

ブランドスーパーコピーバッグ、財布、靴、時計各種のブランドは表して、かばん複製品をコピーしますルイヴィトバッグ コピールイヴィトン財布 コピールイヴィトン長財布 コピーブランド偽物、偽物ブランド、ルイヴィトンコピー、 ロレックスコピー、シャネルコピー、グッチコピー、エルメスコピー、 ボッテガ?ヴェネタコピー、 バーバリーコピー、ミュウミュウコピー、トリーバーチコピー、バレンシアガコピー、ディオールコピー、ブルガリコピー、ブラダコピー、 ドルチェ&ガッバーナコピー、オメガコピー、フランク ミュラーコピー、gagaコピー。ルイヴィトン 時計 コピールイヴィトン 靴 コピールイヴィトン アクセサリー コピールイヴィトン 小物入れ コピールイヴィトン コインケース当店の全ての商品は、全部一番安い値段で販売いたします!ご来店を期待しております!
    スーパーコピー腕時計,ロレックスコピー,ブライトリングコピー,ボーム&メルシエコピー時計コピー業界最高峰スーパーコピー時計通販専門!7年以上の販売実績を 持つ時計コピー老舗!時計コピーであれば何でも揃えられます コピー時計 時計スーパーコピー通販専門店!時計コピー時計販売通販! コピー時計スーパー コピー等の 最高級のレプリカコピー時計を販売ロレックスコピー,ガガミラノコピー ,IWCコピー ,オメガコピー ,フェラーリコピー ,フランクミュラーコピー ,ベル&ロスコピー ,各種のブランドはコピーを表しますコピーを表して、時計をコピーして、スーパーコピーは代 金引換払いにして、スーパーはブランドをコピーして、スー パーは時計をコピーして代金引換払いにして、スーパーは時 計をコピーして、スーパーは腕時計をコピーして、ブランド はスーパーマーケットを表してコピーして、ブランドのスー パーマーケットはコピーして、ブランドはコピーを表して、 腕時計はコピーします ,ボーム&メルシエコピー時計コピー業界最高峰スーパーコピー時計通販専門!7年以上の販売実績を 持つ時計コピー老舗!時計コピーであれば何でも揃えられます コピー時計 時計スーパーコピー通販専門店!時計コピー時計販売通販! コピー時計スーパー コピー等の 最高級のレプリカコピー時計を販売ロレックスコピー,ガガミラノコピー ,IWCコピー ,オメガコピー ,フェラーリコピー ,フランクミュラーコピー ,ベル&ロスコピー ,各種のブランドはコピーを表しますコピーを表して、時計をコピーして、スーパーコピーは代 金引換払いにして、スーパーはブランドをコピーして、スー パーは時計をコピーして代金引換払いにして、スーパーは時 計をコピーして、スーパーは腕時計をコピーして、ブランド はスーパーマーケットを表してコピーして、ブランドのスー パーマーケットはコピーして、ブランドはコピーを表して、 腕時計はコピーします http://www.gowatchs.com/brand-258.html

18. 百年の輝かしい歴史を持つのHamiltonとリーヴァを独木格の設計、無類の品質、完璧な味わいと究極の手芸表現で有名に世を一緻を欧米スターやハリウッド映画界の長年の支持と歓迎。Hamilton

百年の輝かしい歴史を持つのHamiltonとリーヴァを独木格の設計、無類の品質、完璧な味わいと究極の手芸表現で有名に世を一緻を欧米スターやハリウッド映画界の長年の支持と歓迎。Hamiltonとリーヴァの起源は19世紀、リーヴァ創立は西暦1842年イタリア北Iseo湖畔の1家のボートドック内ながら、若い労働者は数隻の修理Pietroリーヴァ暴風雨に壊れて、他の労働者も放棄して整備された漁船の修復、彼は優れた木工技術すぐ名高い、リーヴァ造船事業から正式に始動。Hamiltonもあって似た起源を背景に、西暦1892年Hamilton元アメリカペニスランカスター市にある小さな工場。ブルガリスーパーコピーその正確で、信頼できる技術を獲得しアメリカのタブで当時の鉄道会社や軍の採用、後により解決列車衝突やパイロットよく軌道からそれる飛行の安全問題。それぞれ時計業やヨット業発光して発熱のHamiltonとリーヴァし世界合作と相まって、成熟した技術は、優雅に挑戦し続ける革新を続け、ブランドの承諾。 http://www.wtobrand.com/lvc8.html

19. は素晴らしい万「FUN」の型の表をシンクロ以外にも、Swatch香港区開設の首の間の旗艦店を開店し、強力な販売網を構築。スーパーコピーブランドMr . Kevin Rollenhagen衆がナンシーだと、城の女

は素晴らしい万「FUN」の型の表をシンクロ以外にも、Swatch香港区開設の首の間の旗艦店を開店し、強力な販売網を構築。スーパーコピーブランドMr . Kevin Rollenhagen衆がナンシーだと、城の女神イケメンを鳴らす式獅子舞形にでき、一緒に巨大な「どら」にし、新しい自動車ボール砲杖、百の水素気球すぐさまゆっくりと打ち上げて、象徴「Swatch利園山道旗艦店」が開幕し、城人衆潮、VIP貴賓やメディア代表として出席して、一緒にこの腐表壇新話。 http://www.bestevance.com/chanel/38/

20. Rolex(ロレックス)中国で現在樹立のイメージと世界各地で現れたイメージ同様、すなわち一つ抜群で象徴的なブランドに満ちて。中国人はちょうどこのような熱心を象徴するもの。まさに

Rolex(ロレックス)中国で現在樹立のイメージと世界各地で現れたイメージ同様、すなわち一つ抜群で象徴的なブランドに満ちて。中国人はちょうどこのような熱心を象徴するもの。まさにという考えさせるためにRolex(ロレックス)のクラウンもっと輝いて、会社はナンバー2ダニエルNeidhartそのチームを率いて、描き出し「ロレックス世・界」(ザRolex Experience)の想い。ダニエルNeidhart香港オフィスで、主にグループが所有子会社の業務。彼の心をこめて画策下で、敷地面積は800平方メートルの「ロレックス世・界」が上海でグランドオープンによって家ローカルの小売業者の日常管理担当、内の施設の展示ホール、精品展示区及び専門店、計200以上の表の陳列や600枚在庫腕時計。これはRolex(ロレックス)一項の異例の措置。ウブロ時計コピーブランドの明確にもなかったが、「ロレックス世・界」は間違いなくて、世界のその他の地方が普及のため、各地の人々は期待して同じ体験を楽しむ。 http://www.brandiwc.com/brand-super-4-copy-0.html

21. 確かに気まぐれなエマニュエル・ブーシェの合併症についての1つの時計のように膨大な量があります。今でも、エマニュエル・ブーシェの合併症の2つの作品であるので、私は我々がブーシ

確かに気まぐれなエマニュエル・ブーシェの合併症についての1つの時計のように膨大な量があります。今でも、エマニュエル・ブーシェの合併症の2つの作品であるので、私は我々がブーシェ氏の心から期待したいことがたくさんあると思います。 http://www.newkakaku.com/xinb1.htm

22. グッチ スーパーコピー非常に優美かつ独特で、ずっと優雅な姿で潮流の最高峰に立って、流行に引率して 豪華スーパーコピーブランドお楽しみください!弊社は個性あふれるブランドコピ

グッチ スーパーコピー非常に優美かつ独特で、ずっと優雅な姿で潮流の最高峰に立って、流行に引率して 豪華スーパーコピーブランドお楽しみください!弊社は個性あふれるブランドコピー、すばらしい デザインと高品質を兼ね備えるスーパーコピーバッグ、優雅の魅力があるのスーパーコピー財布など人気商品が続々入荷! http://www.gginza.com/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%90%E3%82%A6%E3%83%88/item_1.html

23. 2008年8月、時計世界も注目して同じテーマである北京オリンピック。も中国オリジナル、また外国ブランド時計、違いを通じてそれぞれ特色の設計、演繹ひとつひとつの記録オリンピック時

2008年8月、時計世界も注目して同じテーマである北京オリンピック。も中国オリジナル、また外国ブランド時計、違いを通じてそれぞれ特色の設計、演繹ひとつひとつの記録オリンピック時間の顔。 http://www.fujisanbrand.com/watch/chanel/index_6.html

Trackbacks/Pingbacks