Trashy Tuesday, what I do with my trash……

Le Junque

Welcome to another addition of Trashy Tuesday, where we talk Trash, literally.

I have found the BEST trash this week, and OH BOY do I have a lot of it!!!!!

It was a magical week of good trash.  And just in time, because I was able to transform some of my trash for sale last weekend!

Do you remember that “FREE” is my favorite word?  Especially when it is on a sign and a bunch of furniture, wood, or anything I can make some kind of home decor out of is under it?

Emma helped pulled the fronts off the drawers, and the hinges off everything else.  I was able to make two chalkboards, three signs, with one big piece left.  I was able to do it fast too.   I made each one with my super easy to paint with, dries fast, distresses wonderfully, and looks fantastic, CeCe Caldwell’s paints.

It was “Beach” theme this month at Paris Flea.  Travis (aka Mr. Red) actually thought up the idea to have the sign with Paris one direction and Beach going the other.  It sold too!

On to “Le Dumpsters”

Monday mornings are one of the best days to find good dumpster stuff.  This morning, I visited my favorite Apartment Dumpsters, and guess what, someone had taken all those nasty trash bags from last week, and replaced it with stuff!

I love the weird blue thing.  I might just take it apart for parts.  The top of that funky table lamp comes apart, I can turn it into a cool Chandelier! Travis was especially excited about all of those skateboard-boards.  And that little cabinet?  Just needs some CeCe and it is like new!

When I dropped Rachel off at “Glee Camp” this morning, I thought I would check the dumpster behind the building.  I found this Ottoman in it!  Maybe someone of large stature sat upon it……but, I happen to have a large thing of upholstery foam on hand.

……and hey, do you see that roll of black stuff?  I found an entire roll of it next to a dumpster.  That is the “dust guard” nylon stuff you put on the bottom of upholstered pieces.  I am almost out of mine, and finding a roll of it beats buying a roll of it.  I also found this old metal shelf…..which is really good because my garage is getting a makeover.

Have you seen enough. Wait, there is more!!!  I feel like a Game show host, about to announce the junk equivalent of an all expenses paid  trip to the Bahamas.  I found a perfectly good Day Bed on Saturday too!!!

Now here is the part where the lawyers read the disclaimers and the excitement of having won all this stuff deflates.

We all know too much of a good thing, is well, too much.  When I started at Paris Flea one year ago, I sort of went hog wild on bringing every stray dog (piece of something resembling furniture) home.  It has become a little bit of a problem.  Sometimes Goodwill will take it away for me if it is something I know I can’t sell.  Sometimes I have just saved the City of Brentwood some gas on their trip to the dump.

Warning: the following pictures can be extremely disturbing to people who like things neat and tidy.  Those with delicate sensibilities may want to click away to another blog.  For the brave at heart, read on……

Now I know you are thinking, this doesn’t look too awful, but I am just warming you up.  Most of these things will get a Redoux, and soon!

And there is more….

But here is where it takes a turn for Sanford and Sons….I think Fred Sanford could be hiding under that tarp!

And if this is not scary enough…..

Hope you have enjoyed “Le Junque de moi” today.

Hopefully when we meet up here next week, my side yard will be growing flowers instead of scrap wood, and we WON’T find Fred Sanford under that blue tarp after all. But I will let you know what I do find!

Happy Junquing!

37 Comments

1. Carol

Don’t you have rain? You’re lucky Mr.Red isn’t bothered by the piles. My Mr. red would go crazy with the mess. I would just see treasures.

• Jessica

i agree. You’re lucky to have a supportive partner. I think I’d probably find a place with garage or storage shed. :0)

2. Jayne

WOW! That’s a lot of stuff! I totally get it though, you see the potential in all (almost) those pieces:)

3. katie goldsworthy

hahaha! I won’t show my husband this post! I know how it is….once you’ve had a wonderful feeling about turning junk into beauty, it gets harder and harder to pass it all up!….especially if you’re making money off free junk!

When I sell a house I’ve renovated, I usually clean house! It took me about 4 “cleanings” (where each time I thought I got rid of so much) this time. Last night was my last “cleaning” for this house….my storage/craft room still looks like I have a TON….guess I underestimated how much I had in there!

–Beautiful junk you collected this week!
    –Katie
    @ Creatively Living

4. the salvage collection

oh, me, oh, my…. i’d love to shop your trash! i don’t envy the zillions of decisions you face in detrashing your lot! be strong!!

5. Patty

Hey ! I like that “crappy old table” !! Wow, I feel so much better seeing your pictures. Makes me feel a little more normal. hubby hates my piles of wood and curb finds. I passed up a dumpster yesterday that had something peeking from the top. I really wanted to get it out to make sure it wasn’t a treasure but I was already late to meet a girlfriend. Now I’m kicking myself, because she would have understood. Next time I won’t be so quick to be on my way.

6. Deb Siemens

Hi! Just wondering where the Paris Flea is that you Arron.
    Is it on Brentwood?
    Thanks!

7. Virginia Callister

Oh my goodness! I LOVE you! This is so me! I can’t get to my junk pile right now though because I live in Arizona and it is burning hot and now the monsoons have kicked in and it is also humid. I tried to paint on 4th of July and it rained on my wet paint. Luckily it was just primer. I had to put my foot down on myself and not go looking for anything until I get the current projects done. In my city we have a “bulk trash” week every week of the month in different zones around the city. It’s awesome because you know when to go look for curbside finds. So fun! I love your blog. We could totally be friends! I have a cheesy little blog I started and don’t keep up much with but you can see of my curbside makeovers I have done there. It’s, timeforcreativetherapy.blogspot.com

8. Jill Flory

Wow! you found some great stuff! and you are going to be one busy busy gal this week!! Can’t wait to see it all Redouxne!

9. Bliss

Thank you for sharing those photos. I’m showing them to my husband only to make my stash not look so big. Maybe the sideways looks will stop and I can convince him I am below average!

~Bliss~

10. Kristy

Now I understand why you ask me for organization tips. LOL my god girl you have way to much for one person. Up here on the wet coast everything is stashed in nooks and crannies under cover. Some pieces are incorpaorated into the deck furniture, I have a large carpark half filled with crap and the other half is where all the bits get stored when I tear things down. I also have a 10 x 6 area on the deck filled with furniture floor to ceiling and it is all conceiled with a large roller blind. Seriously considering notifiying the hoard team on you. Wink! But at least this shows ppl how disposable sociality really is.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

11. Laura @ Our Prairie Home

ROTF!!!!!! Girl, you rock! It’s not junk. It’s furniture miracles on hold for a little while. Although, my husband would KILL me, if I had anything like that. HA HA HA! If I should ever get to that point (which, I’m sure I will), I’m bookmarking this page to show him. LOL!!! You go, girl!

12. Tracey Bradshaw

And this is why you are one of my favorite bloggers – I feel such an affinity with you – I will have to send you some pics of my stash – not as enviable as yours – but definitely on the way to Sanford and Sons (or as we say here in Australia) Steptoe and Son.. My gorgeous guy kindly restacks and reorganizes my mountains of stuff to keep it orderly and dry (we are in the midst of rainy winter here) – he even brings home more finds from his daily travels and is the source of my pallet wood 🙂
    I am just thankful that since we moved house, my stash no longer overflows onto the front porch. From the street we have a perfectly respectable yard – only the left hand neighbor gets a glimpse of the ‘treasures’ lurking on my back patio and no one sees the hoards of stuff waiting patiently in my shed!

13. Shannon Fox

I could not live next to you…

I would be to tempted to reach over the fence, like when I needed an extra chair for dinner!
    I would also be green with envy over all that cool $^#& :)))))))
    Because, let’s face it… there is come cool $^#& there!!!!

14. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage

Luckily my sensibilities aren’t delicate! You’re doing a service to your town – the garbage collectors thank you from the bottom of their hearts!

Great finds – love that lamp. It would look perfect in Sanford & Son’s family room!

15. Meegan

Oh wow oh wow!! I heart all of your junk! Fred Sandford would be proud!! I am truly inspired by your junk!! Lucky gal!
    Meegan

16. ARod

omg that is a glorious stash but the mr should put you on a short leash just kidding

17. karin

i don’t see anything wrong with the pics….pretty sure this is what heaven looks like..LOL!!!
    Having major TRASH ENVY over here..
    Love it!!!
    Keep on JUNKIN!
    Karin

18. shelly andrade

Karen, you just made me feel a whole lot better about my junk:) Need me to come over and help you weed out the excess? We just live too far apart from each other.

19. shelly andrade

After we start our show, we can offer a 12 step program for the ones who can’t stop.

20. Catherine

You know, I can always count on you to make me laugh! Thanks again!
    But I must say, you ARE bordering on getting re-named MRS. SANFORD!
    Have you thought about a storage unit–??!! I have to have one myself,
    or I would look like this too (probably woRse!)
    Btw–I see some things in your piles that I want–oh God!

21. Catherine

I forgot to mention—
    YOU ARE SOOOOO BRAVE TO PULL BACK THE CURTAINS
    FOR ALL TO SEE! I applaud you (clap clap clap-ing!!!)
    I’m not sure if I could own up like that—yikies!

22. debbiedoos

Seriously you know how to haul the good Karen. It may look like junk, but when you are done with it…LOOK out.

23. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.

Oh my goodness!!!

24. Stacey Blanton

OMGosh I thought I was the only one LOL
    I have1800 sq feet in my workshop that we can hardly squeeze through. With our last adventure on Sunday it is spilling out to the side of our house ( not a happy husband ). The poor neighbors…LOL They prob secretly call us “Sanford & Son” Hahahahaha. I guess I really need to weed out a few things :-@
    They just need some loving…I am waiting for my CeCe Caldwell Paints to arrive any day !!!
    Not Along<3

25. debi beard

awesome pile! Every girl worth her weight in rust has to own a pile of junk like that or she won’t be taken seriously. you have won my respect, rock on sister!

26. Suffering Husband

What a blessing. I can leave dirty socks in the bathroom or
    utensils by the BBQ and have no fear of being nagged at for creating a mess!
    However I am looking forward to getting rid of some of the dead weight this weekend

27. Heidi @ Decor & More

WOW!! You’ve got your work cut out for you! But of course, it will all look fab in the end. 🙂 I have to show this to my husband so he now has a fresh perspective on the state of our garage. 😀

28. Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

Holy Crap! Literally. LOL I would be in heaven in your yard. How fun would it be to take a day and just make magic. Oh, wait, you do that. I mean … how fun for you if I helped. 🙂

29. Loving sister

All i can say is, “Heavens to Betsy!” 😀

30. Malissa

I loved reading this. You are such an inspiration. Sometimes when people come over, I get mixed comments on the contents of my back yard. Somethink it is o so cool for those as you phrased it ” with delicate sensibilities the neat and tidy” They just shake there head. LOL. You also encouraged me with your cabinets. I will remember from now on. It is not the sum of the whole but the ( parts). Have a lovely Day!!!!!!!!!
    Missy

31. Nadia

So nice, it makes me happy when I get rid of what I no longer use or need. It is a great opportunity.

32. Judy

We must be related-my garage looks just like yours.

33. Jessica

OMG I think I may love you lol. I wish I lived closer and we would have so much fun. I own a craft store and we upcyle and refurb junk we find…my friends hubby calls us “stanford and Daughters” lol. We have debated adding a pole building out back to store our junk until we can work on it…or buy a giant lot of property and go to town and let people drop off their junk to us lol. Great post and I love all of your tips on dumpster diving…it really is so much fun to go and find some awesome stuff that no one thinks is worth saving, kinda breaks my heart when you find antique stuff just demolished because someone didnt care enough to save our history 🙁 YIKES! anywho, have a great day and I cant wait to keep reading the rest of your blog!!
    Jess

• GTC

Thank you so much Jess! I love your idea of having the property and letting people drop off their junk! That would save me a lot of time, and yuk! I agree, it is sometimes like winning a big lottery or something when you find a great piece that was just dumped. I once found an entire antique pie safe that was just falling apart. It had been stored outside it looked like for years until someone stuck it next to a dumpster. I salvaged what I could, but it made me so sad!

• Jessica

That just breaks me lol. I wish everyone realized how great old things can be…but then at the same time we would never find awesome things in the junk piles if they did lol. But they should at least respect the items enough not to destroy them so that when we find them they are still in good shape lol. Oh we would have so much fun together if we lived closer!! I see so many awesome things in your yard/garage that I want lol.

• GTC

Thanks so much for your sweet comment Jessica! I always so bummed when I come across a dresser that has been smashed to pieces. It never occurs to people that things can be fixed!! PS you are welcome to come shop my garage! I need help getting rid of stuff!

Submit a Comment