Tutorial Time. Transfer an image to Fabric

Furniture and Cabinetry Redouxs, Le Junque, Tutorials

1. Hi Karen! I used this same method and used fonts from PicMonkey’s photo editor to transfer words onto a bench cushion I recently finished. They have some really fun fonts and best of all its a free website! I bet there are others online like it but they are my go-to. Love your blog! — Pauline

Great idea – you know I could use this for so many things!! Wish I had some of that solvent here right now.

3. patty says:

Wanted to mention that there are are some great coupons for CitraSolv on their website, http://www.citrasolv.com.

4. All of your Citra Solv projects look great – I soo want to try this! Thanks for posting your tutorial and I have this linked to my DIY image transferring post too today!

5. Lindaloo says:

Can you suggest where to print? I tried Kinko’s, a local library, my own printer. Apparently none are laser. Help!! I want to print on fabric so bad. Got a list of project to do! Thanks, Linda

6. Jordan says:

Hi there! I wanted to try out this lovely method on some vintage hankies I bought. I tested it out first one just some basic cotton cloth – but nothing happened! I had the citrisolv…and I printed them using our laser printer at work…Are all laser printers the same? I’d love to make this work!!

Thanks a bunch!

• GTC says:

Hi Jordan. Sorry for the delayed response. I am not sure if all laser printers are created equal. Did you put the printed side of the image down ont the hankie? You have to have the inked side touching the fabric, then rub really hard with a spooon or burnishing too, or I like to use a warm iron. I hope that helps!

• Mechelle says:

FYI…..newer laser printers won’t work with this method. In the older models, the toner was made of plastic, which citrasolv and acetone would break down and the particles fell into place on fabric. The newer laser printers have toner that is made with an epoxy, now. It doesn’t break down. I bought a new laser printer for the sole reason of doing image transfers to fabric, just to be disappointed that it doesn’t work. After researching online as to why, I discovered the info about newer model printers. But there is a solution. I simply made a master copy on my printer, then took it to work and printed copies from that on our dept’s older laser printer. The transfers worked like a charm with citrasolv. You can also take a copy to Office Depot and have them make copies for you for about 11 cents for black and white or about 59 cents for color.

• Mechelle says:

UPDATE: I went to Office Depot this morning and had some copies made to make more pillow transfers. They wouldn’t transfer to fabric, either with Citrasolv or Acetone. I called OD and asked them about it and they said they just installed new printers two weeks ago. Sadly, it looks like there will come a day, after everyone has updated printers, that we will no longer be able to do these transfers, unless something new comes along that will work on these newer toners to make it transfer.