Bathroom Vanity Turned Rolling Kitchen Island?
I admit, I can be a bit vain from time to time. I am not one to spend too much time in front of the mirror in the getting ready process. Having twins cured me of this to the point where it is a matter of pride on how fast I can do shower, makeup and hair. (It helps when your hair is short). But I do like to dress up once in a while and actually put a little effort into the final result. Speaking of Vanity, Victor Hugo said “Stupidity talks, Vanity acts”. I am a big talker, this may not make me the wisest girl around, but I sure worked this Vanity!
This Vanity was given to be my dear friends. The Vanity was supposed to be for a bathroom remodel, but was never used. I had the very good fortune to have it passed on to me. Thanks Gerry and Linda!!! The Vanity was brand spanking new. That is something I am definitely not used to working with, what a treat!
It needed a back. I had some leftover Luon on hand that had already been painted in chalkboard paint. I cut it down a bit, attached it to the back. Voila, perfect back for an island. Multi-functional. Of course I had to add wheels too. I keep several sizes on hand because you know how I love my things to roll!
It needed a top, and I had a vision! I bought some inexpensive boards at Home Depot, and used (reclaimed dumpster wood) I had on hand. Chopped it to fit, with a little variation in length to add to the rustic feel. After everything was attached, secured and the top sanded, I turned my attention to the fun part. The makeup! Or in other words, the paint, as in Debi’sDesign Diary DIY Paint! This paint is the most fun to layer, make a wash of, and basically just create any number of layers and looks. After each coat, I took a very damp shop towel (paper towel) and wiped excess paint off, so all that was left was a thin coat that had been absorbed by the wood.
The Vanity is beginning to look like a Rolling Kitchen Island now! The result is this gorgeous, weathered wood look that makes the wood look like it has been around for a while. This entire process took me about 5 minutes. Tops. (pun intended 😉
For the body of the piece, I used a thinned Debi’s Design Diary DIY Paints in Old ’57 (One of my faves). I sanded the entire piece thoroughly with 320 grit sandpaper to get that super smooth, soft finish. To darken some of the areas I thought were a little too light, I used Modern Masters colorant in Coffee Bean. Use this sparingly, it is strong, but a really great product for darkening small areas instantly. I sealed the top with Debi’s Design Diary Big Top Brush on Coat, then went over with 100% clear wax on the entire piece.