Trashy Tuesday, Is this your Garage?

Le Junque

Happy Trashy Tuesday.

When people visit my home for the first time, they don’t ask for a tour of my home.  They do not ask to see the pieces I have restored and painted.  They don’t ask to see my kitchen that I spent hours on, hand painting and waxing.  They don’t ask to use the powder room.

NOPE.  The first thing they want to see is my GARAGE.  From the average person’s standpoint, it is a spectacle to behold.

I am tired of being a spectacle, and my garage is too.  (We are not communicating with the side yard of junk at present, we will soon, in case you were wondering…..)

I have spent the last few weekends slowly and painfully “freeing” myself and my garage of things that do not inspire me.  Some going to the dump, most going to Salvation Army, where they will hopefully inspire someone else.

In an effort to get control of my mess and feel inspired again.  Yes, order does inspire me!  I have made a deal.  Anything left in my garage come January 1st that has been there since the date of this post…..will be GONE!

In the meantime.   I did not pick up one single thing from a sidewalk, a dumpster, a driveway.  Nada.  I completely minded my own trash pickin business.  Until I got an email from a new consignor at Paris Flea Market that she has a bunch of adorable chairs she isn’t going to use, would I like them?  Ummmmm, what was I saying about the garage?  Oh yes, those chairs won’t arrive in the garage until after this post is published, so they don’t count.

And for some beautiful eye candy trash.  Check out all these empty cans of CeCe Caldwell’s paints!!!!  They can go right in my recycling bin too.  I just thought they looked nice in the box.

That’s enough trash talk for today.

18 Comments

1. Carla Pennington

I managed to move a great deal of my junk (doesn’t really qualify as junque), but alas, only to the patio and the driveway, where it awaits a trip to Goodwill, the real dump, or the recycling station. Frankly, mah deah, your garage looks rather organized compared to mine. I always wonder – and no offense to those with garages like this – what kind of people really have garages that are super clean and organized and have nothing, not a thing, sitting around waiting to be repaired, restored, reimagined, or gazed at until inspiration takes hold. I think us cluttered garage types are probably lots more fun!

• GTC

Carla! That is so funny about the people with the super clean garages. Especially if they are all white. I always wonder what kind of people live there. Like, don’t they ever fix anything, or want to get something dirty? I always imagine these types of people are not very fun to be around because they can’t enjoy the messes of life and laugh at them! I am a big mess, and I like to laugh!

• ScottieV

My mother always said “Never trust someone with a clean garage” lol, extreme? maybe. possibly not quite so “off” though…. just sayin’…

2. ScottieV

Right?! What is the deal? They all want to see my garage too. It’s like a contest to see who I will let in and who I won’t. :o) It must be the season because I did that too recently. I pulled everything out and then only put back what I wanted and knew I could turn around quickly. I did both sides… I do have to get to the front soon- that workbench is a black hole for tools or anything else… maybe in two weeks…

(and I agree with Carla, we ARE way, WAY more fun!)

3. Paula

For the record, I think your kitchen looks great. Good job! I would want to sit in the kitchen for a cup of coffee and some creative conversation before heading out to the garage. About the garage, I think you look pretty organized. You have TWO areas to walk through. I am impressed because I only have one tiny path in a 3 stall garage. Unlike you, I am not able to purge. I am the same way with my paintings. Other artists say if it’s not working that they discard and move on. It becomes my mission to “make it work” as Tim Gunn on Project Runway says. Although right now I am a painting machine because our northern weather will be changing soon and I will not be able to paint in the garage then. That being said I am heading out there now.

4. Jan

I regretfully have to admit I’ve had to stop opening your Trashy Tuesday Dumpster Diving emails because I can’t deal with the inspiration! My garage runneth over and into my house to the point I have no place to work unless the weather is good.
    I’ve been struggling with the idea that if I share some pix of my garage, and the pile under the tarp in the back yard, and the cute kitchen utility cart and piles of projects that line my hall—oh wait, there are two kitchen carts… you get the picture?—it could motivate me to part with some of it so I can work on what I really love. And then I see this post with your garage and again I’m inspired.
    Thanks again for your inspiration!
    Jan

PS – in the interest of full disclosure I have to admit to back tracking to your Trashy Tuesday posts when I admire your finished projects a few days later. C’ est la vie.

5. Liisa

Can’t wait to see what you will do with the chairs.

6. Beth N

I wish I had a garage, if I did it would look like that. As it is, my dining room is jammed and overflowing into the living room from all the inspiration I found this summer. Since I have a small home it is taking over the living space! Chairs and tables and dressers, oh my! Not to mention a couple things on my small front porch and by the driveway. I have forbidden myself from picking up anything else until I finish up some of these projects (all in various stages) and have some space. We will see how that works!

Thanks for always providing entertaining inspiration!

7. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage

Baby steps … love the idea of tossing everything unused by Jan 1 – looks like you are going to have a busy ew months!
    kelly

8. Teri

We’re moving. So went through something similar a few weeks back. My garage looks like it did the day we moved in. Clean as a whistle and it makes me sad. I’m itching to start collecting “stuff” and creating in our new space down south. Good luck with your purge.

9. Jill Flory

Good for you! I’m trying to get organized now that the flea is over – I can’t be creative in a mess either. I have a huge garage sale I help with this week and once all that stuff is out of here I hope to get my sewing space organized like it’s never been organized before. I already have a ton of stuff gone since the flea cause I sold a bunch!

10. Christy@Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer

I have never seen your kitchen before, but I’ve seen your outside area where your to-do pile accumulates a couple of times lol! I LOVE your kitchen!! I love the black bottoms and white uppers!! I have yet to tackle painting my kitchen because I also want new counters and backsplash…so it may be a while yet. In the meantime, I’m going to pin yours 🙂

11. Bliss

I’m just nosy enough to want to see everything.

12. Hetty

Finally time to leave a comment, I have been going through my furniture stash like you. Some I sold on Craigslist, some on eBay and some are just free for anyone to pick up. It is so refreshing to do this, I know you love to collect but you can get overwhelmed with too much. Love what you’re doing! BTW I have purchased my simply white from cece…have the perfect project for it!

13. Nina

You don’t know my husband. We must park two cars in the garage. Which is why I love CeCe Caldwell paint. I can paint inside the house. I wish I had space to start a project and finish at will. Hey Karen I have another class idea why don’t you hold class in your garage, each student could choose a piece from your collection to paint.

14. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline

At least you have a garage! Our furniture pile takes up a good chunk of the basement. Though we’ve been paring down our pile I have given my husband strict orders that we are not replenishing said pile until what’s there is gone.

15. PS MacMurray

Can’t wait to see what those empty paint cans become!

16. Shelly Andrade

I don’t get it Karen…. everybody’s garage looks like this ~ doesn’t it???

Submit a Comment