Some time ago, I did a trade with a fantastic client, local photographer Dana Moran Photography to reupholster this Settee. Dana found this gem at an estate sale for a bargain. In return of the trade, I will get some very chic family photos taken! (The before has disappeared along with half of my son’s socks…)
The before is sort of missing in action. It was a dated Green poly fabric, torn in places. I started by removing all the fabric, and staples, which was no small feat! Once I had everything removed, it looked a little bare!
We decided to go with an indoor/outdoor fabric. This settee needs to hold up as a prop and being taken outdoors for creative photo shoots.
I used the existing pieces as a template for our new fabric, cut to size . I used a VERY long upholstery needle for the tufting (A must if you are going to do this), and began stapling away. I really liked the ruffle detail the original had along the edge, so I duplicated it with the cream fabric. Just ironed it in place, (kind of eyeballed the measurement), then sewed the edges to hold the pleats. Really, I do not have any special sewing skills, just patience. This is not nearly as difficult as it looks.
Added Black Trim to the seams. The Legs received a coat of black wax to give them a “stockinged” look. Voila, she has a new dress on!
See, you truly can put a new gown on an old figure and manage to look tres elegant!
This Grande Dame never did make it to any parties, so she is making her debut now. Showing off at these elegant affairs: