Paint that looks like wood or Pickled Finish Desk.

Furniture and Cabinetry Redouxs, Furniture Makeovers, Tutorials

Paint that looks like wood or a Pickled Finish Desk.

Say that 10 times fast. Emphasis on the pickle…..

Have you tried pickling your furniture?  How about painting it then making it look like real wood grain with a pickle finish?  My friend Emma and I were able to do both!  Really easy, a little smelly, but worth the cool science experiment.

We started with this table.  Ho hum, the top not in great condition.  Definitely needed a good sanding. The wood was some very soft, forgettable type of wood.  Emma had recently had great success with the pickled finish on her MDF, yes MDF kitchen table.  We thought we would put on our lab coats for the day and try to duplicate the experiment.

BEFORE PICTURE IS AWOL

Emma had a large Mayonaise type Jar she filled with steel wool pads, then poured white vinegar in until it covered the steel wool.  Screwed the cap on tight and let it sit for several days.  I tried making my own too.  It didn’t get as crusty as hers. Emma is a way better cook than me.

By the way, I make really good tea staining liquid. If you want some, I have a giant jar of this too.

For the desk, we painted a very light and thin coat of CeCe Caldwell’s Seattle Mist.  We wanted a neutral to begin with.  It is anybody’s guess how it will turn out. Best to not start with a bright color you wish to keep.

When the paint was dry, I started just by “painting” on this solution.  It dries fast.

You can see it start to have an interesting chemical reaction with the wood/paint, over the course of a few hours.  At this point you can keep adding another coat until you think it looks pickled enough.

It brought out some interesting black tones in the wood.  I thought it would be lovely to paint the base with Cece Caldwell’s Vermont Slate.  One of my favorite colors, especially as we head into cooler weather.  I finished the entire piece with CeCe Caldwell’s Endurance.  A fabulous clear coat, very hard wearing.  AND I have aVIDEO HERE that shows you exactly how to used Endurance!

If you want to see other ways you can made paint look like wood, check out these posts:  Make Anything Look Like Wood and Farm Table Faking

The table sold at our last Paris Flea Market sale, but we have them every month, usually the first weekend.  Always tons of furniture, maybe even some paint that looks like wood or pickled finish desk!

My painted and pickled and thoroughly sealed desk will be studying with these lovely parties this week:

Project-Inspired-Button-New1.png
Prodigal Pieces

House on the Way

24 Comments

1. Shelly

Thanks for sharing this great post Karen!! I so want to try this!! Do you have a close up of the top??? I’ve heard of the steel wool/vinegar thing a million times but never tried it over paint. Can’t wait to try it!!

• GTC

Thanks Steph! It is really fun because you don’t quite know what to expect!

2. Sandy McDonald

Did you also apply the same amount of pickling to the Vermont Slate portion of the desk? I will definitely try this 🙂 Thanks.

• GTC

No, I only applied the pickling solution to the top of the desk. The Vermont Slate is the only finish on the base. You should try it, such a fun thing to do, easy, cheap and you never quite know what it will do!

3. cassie

that looks awesome, karen! i love that finish!

4. karin

I love this. I like Shelly have wanted to try the steel wool thing, just haven’t gotten around to it. (its on my million mile long list..:))
    I love how it turned out and just LOVE the colors on this…Its like a GIANT Patina’D Party. Its got such a rich feeling.
    Love it.
    Hugs,
    Karin

5. Trina @ afewmineradjustments.blogspot.com

I love this. It came out beautifully! Thank you for linking up to the Twirl and Take a Bow Party. We plan on partying every Tuesday. Hope to see you again.

Trina

6. Danielle

Oooooh, so cool! I’ve never done this before. I actually have a table in our sunroom that I might try this on. It has a wonderful rustic base but the top is yellow wood. Do I need to sand it down first or paint a coat of paint and then do this mixture…. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

• GTC

It was so fun to try something new. Yes, definitely sand it down first so the wood, or whatever is free of paint, then do a thin coat of chalk based paint, really watered down even. Then when this dries, get pickling!

7. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.

How fun to experiment! Love the pickled look and it’s perfect on that table!

8. 当店は業界最強の海外一番人気のルイヴィトン スーパーコピー 代引き販売老舗です!高品質のルイヴィトンコピー代引きや情報が満載しています。私達は貴方の為に同等な品質のルイヴィ

[url=http://www.wtobrand.com/sbfr4.html]当店は業界最強の海外一番人気のルイヴィトン スーパーコピー 代引き販売老舗です!高品質のルイヴィトンコピー代引きや情報が満載しています。私達は貴方の為に同等な品質のルイヴィトン代引きと価格安い商品を提供します.ご購入する度、ご安心とご満足の届けることを旨にしております[/url]

9. 蒼井シンガポール上場グループ高登(Cortina)時計台に進駐して台北101が百坪以上トップ時計通りの後、中国最大の時計のディーラー新宇グループも、香港上場の新宇亨得利ホールディング

[url=http://www.bagkakaku.com/vuitton_wallet/wallet/151.html]蒼井シンガポール上場グループ高登(Cortina)時計台に進駐して台北101が百坪以上トップ時計通りの後、中国最大の時計のディーラー新宇グループも、香港上場の新宇亨得利ホールディングスを名乗って台大いに腕前を発揮する。ブランド時計コピーしかも控えめに高雄両家オメガ大きいが、調査によると、台灣の市場を新宇認定を戦略的発展が予想される地域で、大きい10 – 20家を目指して。[/url]

10. 購入した5万匹ガス針表、過酷な戦争環境をより強調ガス針表卓越した品質、後はガス針表軍の必要な装備の一つとして。ウブロコピーガス針表の夜光機能がより随一、発光時間が長く、発

[url=http://www.gowatchs.com/brand-200.html]購入した5万匹ガス針表、過酷な戦争環境をより強調ガス針表卓越した品質、後はガス針表軍の必要な装備の一つとして。ウブロコピーガス針表の夜光機能がより随一、発光時間が長く、発光効果も深く各国軍尊重の重要な原因の一つ。[/url]

11. 時計は代々、光を金庫は明らかに足りない。ある時計業界関係者によると、腕時計を絶好調そして将来譲渡時いい売値定期掃除は非常に重要な一環。ブランド 時計コピー3年ごとの週波数メ

[url=http://www.eevance.com/News/02a44259755d38e6.html]時計は代々、光を金庫は明らかに足りない。ある時計業界関係者によると、腕時計を絶好調そして将来譲渡時いい売値定期掃除は非常に重要な一環。ブランド 時計コピー3年ごとの週波数メンテナンス時間、毎回約5000元の通常のメンテナンス価格ざっと計算して、30年の保養費用とは6万元を投入。[/url]

12. 今回のピーターSpearke-Marinさん携帯からブランドの創立以来の多くの代表作を含めて、ウブロ時計コピーMARIN-1など、MARIN-2やUnique piece限定版Piccadilly Panda、ゴッドオブTime、Thalassaなど経典之作

[url=http://www.msnbrand.com/goods-copy-4781.html]今回のピーターSpearke-Marinさん携帯からブランドの創立以来の多くの代表作を含めて、ウブロ時計コピーMARIN-1など、MARIN-2やUnique piece限定版Piccadilly Panda、ゴッドオブTime、Thalassaなど経典之作。優雅に味わいがあるとして、工芸非凡象徴伝統タブ造詣と優雅な手本が融合した腕時計傑作集まった一人一人のゲストの心が折れ、当日現場賓客と時計師を思い切り歓談霊感とタブと心得て、喜びの優雅な雰囲気の中で、共に楽のどかな午後の時間。[/url]

13. パネライ スーパーコピー 腕時計の直径44 mmということです、そして、私の意見で、素晴らしい―見える白ゴム・ストラップの上に来そうです。回転ベゼルであり、多くの人々のためのダイ
  14. グッチ スーパーコピー非常に優美かつ独特で、ずっと優雅な姿で潮流の最高峰に立って、流行に引率して 豪華スーパーコピーブランドお楽しみください!弊社は個性あふれるブランドコピ

[url=http://www.wtobrand.com/prada-bag1.html]グッチ スーパーコピー非常に優美かつ独特で、ずっと優雅な姿で潮流の最高峰に立って、流行に引率して 豪華スーパーコピーブランドお楽しみください!弊社は個性あふれるブランドコピー、すばらしい デザインと高品質を兼ね備えるスーパーコピーバッグ、優雅の魅力があるのスーパーコピー財布など人気商品が続々入荷![/url]

15. エルメス時計スーパーコピー ビート秒針について非常にクールなことはそれがこのメカニズムが働く方法を見ることができる運動の白骨化したオーバービューが存在するということです。

[url=http://www.brandiwc.com/brand-super-11-copy-0.html]エルメス時計スーパーコピー ビート秒針について非常にクールなことはそれがこのメカニズムが働く方法を見ることができる運動の白骨化したオーバービューが存在するということです。実際には、これは私が考えることができる最初の時間を私は死んでいる秒針が実行される(図を見た。私はディウィットの時間の2つの理由のためにこのようにして設計されたデウィット・学界は思っています。1つの特定のからくりを死者の秒針が動くのを許す見解を提供するために、第2のように微妙なのが「これは、確かにではなく、クォーツ時計です。」[/url]

16. スーパーコピーブランド激安ショッピングモール!ブランドスーパーコピー品ごとにぱっと見て全然違わないほどの外観を持ち、手触りも同じである。当店スーパーコピーブランド商品とと

[url=http://www.newkakaku.com/boq1.htm]スーパーコピーブランド激安ショッピングモール!ブランドスーパーコピー品ごとにぱっと見て全然違わないほどの外観を持ち、手触りも同じである。当店スーパーコピーブランド商品とともに、高品質と安心をお届けいたします!スーパーコピー 代引きN品をご 購入の方は、こちらへ.弊社は正規品と同等品質のコピー品を低価で お客様に提供します!すべての商品は品質2年無料保証です。100%実物写真ですし、品質が完璧です!”ブランド財布偽物財布コピー ルイヴィトン財布偽物良質なスーパーコピー品を創造します!当社のスーパーコピー代引き、スーコピー腕時計は他社のものより品質がよくて、価格も安いです[/url]

17. 新宇亨得利ホールディングス(香港株番号3389)が先月から香港募资6.02億香港ドル、合台灣ドル以上20億元をくわえる新株、既存株主をはじめ、SWATCHグループは、LVMH、テマセク、シェラトン

[url=http://www.ooobrand.com/bags/hermes/2248.html]新宇亨得利ホールディングス(香港株番号3389)が先月から香港募资6.02億香港ドル、合台灣ドル以上20億元をくわえる新株、既存株主をはじめ、SWATCHグループは、LVMH、テマセク、シェラトンホテルなどはすべて投資株主の一つで、調査によると、これも新宇台灣で拓時先にとSWATCHグループ協力要因。[/url]

Submit a Comment