Sea Glass Blue Side Table.

One of my favorite things to do with paints is experiment. As long as I have been painting, I have loved to combine colors, try out new techniques, and layer!  Now that I use Debi’s Design Diary DIY Paint for my projects, I can experiment and layer to my hearts content.  The paints are so versatile and so easy to work with.  I love this color combination I came up with on this table.

This is where I started. Bargain find at my local Goodwill.  I did nothing to prep it, just wiped off the dust and started painting!  No primer or sanding needed, one more reason I LOVE these paints.

I painted the entire piece in one solid coat.  I purposely painted this coat in a cross hatch method. This gives the paint lots of texture and depth.  There are two kinds of clay in DIY Paint.  The clay is what gives the paint this gorgeous variegated look. When the first layer was dry, I made a wash of a darker blue.  I really watered it down until it looked like the water after you have dipped your brush in from water color.  I brushed the wash over the entire piece.

To highlight the details and the edges of this finish, I used a Metallic Wax.  I love how the cross hatching texture picked up just a hint of the metallic wax.

I used a clear brush on coat for the top coat.  Note, normally I would recommend using DIY Paint’s 100% Natural Wax  as your last step.  With the Metallic wax I have found a top coat sticks just fine.  This is a decorative wax, not a finishing wax, so there is much less of it.   The finished product reminded me of sea glass.

If you would like to know how to create more of these finishes and repurpose your own furniture, check out DIY Paints and look for a retailer in your area, many retailers offer workshops where you can learn this to make something look like Sea Glass or literally 100’s of other amazing ways to upcycle your old furniture.

Sharing my Sea Glass Blue Table at these enchanting parties:

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

21 Comments

1. Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

This little table is really a great example of how paint can turn a blah piece into a true statement piece. Your vision is always spot-on. Love the two knobs.
    <3 Kim

2. Paula@O'MearasCottageCharm

Just the name alone is lovely but to behold it…ahhh! Every girl needs a little glam in her life…no question….and this piece provides it! It’s a little bit of vintage, a little bit of coastal charm, and a whole lot of glamour! Talk about a focal point!!! Love it, love it, love it!

3. Karen Marie Kedzuch

Karen,
    I love the Sea Glass color and Gold Wax glimmer. I am pinning and definitely doing this process in my lake home. I have a cherished china cabinet from my brother who has passed away. I have been searching for a finish to honor this piece. I am excited about the possibilities of this project. Thank you for inspiring me!!!
    Karen Marie

• GTC

Thank you so much Karen Marie! I am sorry for your family with your brother gone. What a beautiful way to honor is memory!

4. Bridget

Love the color combination!

5. Kathy

Karen… this is BEAUTIFUL!!! Both my favorite colors and the gold wax gives it the shimmery glass touch! Love it!!

• GTC

Thank you so much Kathy, I do love these color combos and that gold seems to go with everything!

6. Lamar Lambert

Some of your best work.

• GTC

Thank you so much Lamar! That is very sweet.

7. Laura :)

That is seriously gorgeous!! The layering with the gold is super elegant yet it has that aged look and those blues…omg, I love it!!!! I have a little table here that’s been crying for a makeover but nothing has inspired me as much as this!! Time to break out the paint!!! 🙂

• GTC

thank you so much Laura! Amazing how some paint and gold can transform something! Good luck with your project.

8. Inspire Me Heather

That turned out just beautiful, what a pretty colour that sea glass is and it goes great with the gold wax!

• GTC

Thank you so much Heather! I love that gold wax so much. I will have to stop myself from putting it on everything!

9. Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

This came out so great! I love the cross hatch application first to enhance detail. Beautiful color combination!!

• GTC

Thank you so much Karah! Painting in a cross hatch could seem like breaking the rules, but it just adds interest!

10. Jennelise

What an incredible piece! I just love it!
    Jennelise

11. Barbara Bussey

Great post and step by step explanation of the technique. I need to be more of a risk taker, when painting!
    Cheers!,
    Barbara

• GTC

Thank you so much Barbara!! One more reason I love using CeCe Caldwell’s paints. You can take tons of risks and if you don’t like it, you can wipe it off before you seal it!

Submit a Comment