Le French Maid and Le Assistant
Or- Easy Black and White Dresser and Nightstand!
Easy Black and White Dresser redouxinteriors
I bought these pieces a few months ago from a Craig’s list add.  I got such a deal on all of it!
I dub these pieces Le French Maid and her assistant.
This is the lovely dresser before, the finish is circa 1978
 Lovey nightstand, that is not real wood on the top, it actually peels off……
After rummaging through my brain for a while, the dresser looked to me as if it were wearing a skirt.  Since both piece are oh so French looking, I decided to take a “French Maid” point of view.  (The real thing people, not the costumes you may have seen at your local Halloween Super Store recently!)
I used a Chalk Based Paint for the pieces in black and white.  My go to now is ALWAYS Debi’s DIY Paint.  The easiest paint I have ever used, and 100% Natural.  I love the Clay in this paint, it is head and shoulders above every other similar product on the market.  If you would like to try it out, click HERE or click on my side bard DIY Button.
I would recommend Little Black Dress and White Swan for this project.
I used my favorite “Paint Pen” in White.  (Elmer’s happened to make this one)  to highlight the curves and details, there are so many on these cute pieces!
I sprayed the original hardware in Flat Black and “Voila”, we are oh so chic and ready for service. Either as a dresser, or even as a whimsical piece in a living room.
The nightstand, “le helper” got the same outfit. They like to work together you know….
Ooo, and let’s a take quick peek inside her drawers, don’t worry, she is a modest kind of gal.  Just showing her good taste:
Le French Maid and Le Assistant were actually shown around blogland in November 2011.  They were thrilled to be given a 2nd debut.

31 Comments

1. The DIY Show Off

Gorgeous! You do such a beautiful job with inspiring results!

2. Katie

Love the colors and use of the paint pen!

3. Connie the crafterbug

I have seen dressers similar to these many times before,but I think yours turned out the best that I have ever seen. I love your choice of colors. Great job!
    Connie

4. Green Willow Pond

Those turned out really well! I would not have thought of the paint pen for the details.

5. RhettDidntGiveADamn

Love, love, love your blog and so happy to have found you so I'm now following along! xo

6. Kahli

I always see a lot of these french style furniture pieces and I love every one of them, but you gave yours a lot more style!

7. Veronica

Hmmm she is de lovely and will serve any Madame beautifully….

Veronica
    Tassels Twigsa and Tastebuds

8. Ruth

They look absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the contrast of the black and white with the amazing shape and flourishes on both pieces.
    Ruth

9. Mandy

Karen these are GORGEOUS! I actually have one just like this (the dresser) and I'm going to be a BIG COPY CAT and do mine just like yours!!! You sooo inspire me!!! YAY! Can't wait.

Hugs,
    Mandy

10. Deborah Lee

Can you tell me what you got for the dressers? I’m going to do something similar, but don’t know how to price it. Thanks!

11. Jourdan

I haven’t visited your site for a while girl, forgot how much i LOVE these re-doos you post1

12. Beth

Ohh La La! These turned out gorgeous! I have the French provincial dresser that has been mine since birth (1962) and it has seen it’s better days (picture colored candled marks that bled into the top finish, not to mention other scratch & dent moments over the years). It is pretty ugly at this point but a very well made piece and I can’t let it go. I have been looking for inspiration to transform it and this is the fabulous! The wheels are turning…

As always, thanks for your inspiration!
    Beth

• GTC

Thank you so much for the sweet comments Beth!! Let me know what you do with your Dresser makeover! How fun that you still have this dresser too.

• GTC

Thanks Christy. These are old….as in when I was first getting started with regular posting. Good thing I can recycle some old stuff once in a while!

13. Dixie Lee

In French it would be “La Bonne” for the maid. (La denotes a female.)

The dresser I like very much.

• GTC

Thanks Dixie!!

14. Kirby

Love the black and white on these pieces. They look great!

• GTC

Thank you. If only I could find two more pieces like this! I think they were one of a kind.

15. Diana

These are darling you are a genius!

• GTC

Thank you so much Diana!

16. Brenda Young

Adore this take on a frenchy ! Wonderful job, did you use CeCe black on these?

• GTC

No, I used ASCP and Modern Masters. This was actually painted long before there was a CeCe Calwells, or I for sure would have used CeCe Caldwell’s Beckley Coal.

17. A2Z Health

We are a gaggle of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your website provided us with helpful info to work on. You’ve done
    an impressive process and our whole neighborhood will be grateful
    to you.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How to Makeover Old French Provincial Dresser - Redoux Interiors - […] French Maid Dresser […]

Submit a Comment