How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets Like a Pro

Furniture and Cabinetry Redouxs, Furniture Makeovers

Hi! Are you interested in how to paint your kitchen cabinets like a pro, but it seems like an overwhelming chore? Have you painted your cabinets before, were unhappy with the result, and don’t know how to repaint your cabinets? I used to Paint Kitchen and Bath Cabinets for a living. I first painted my cabinets about 20 years ago, and it did not go well. Why was it so hard? I paint furniture for a living. Little did I know that painting Kitchen and bathroom cabinets is NOTHING like painting furniture. Now, I always get asked, “How do you paint kitchen cabinets”?

I wanted to grow my painting business and knew I needed help. I enrolled in a high-end Kitchen and Bath cabinetry course taught by professional painters and learned all the insider tips and tricks; I wanted to learn how to paint cabinets in a kitchen and bath. I went on to paint kitchen and bath cabinets for a living for several years, but it was not my first love. So, I began helping others learn to paint their kitchen cabinets themselves. I taught small in-person workshops for years, teaching tips and tricks, but it was still not enough; I knew I needed to be in someone’s kitchen with them, showing them step-by-step how to paint cabinets.

black and white kitchen cabinets redoux 1

After about the 20th person asked me in in-person how to paint cabinets, I began to search the internet for a course I could refer them to that would teach them what I knew, but I could not find one, so I created my course!

Since you landed on my blog, I am offering a HUGE discount to you through April 15th, 2024. If you want to get my comprehensive course at 30% off, click for your free info on getting started painting kitchen cabinets here, and I will send you the discount code and a link to the course.

In my Kitchen and Bath Cabinetry course, you will be armed with all the information you need to paint your kitchen and bath cabinets like a pro, including easy-to-follow downloadable PDFs and quick video tutorials to follow. The How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets course is your one-stop destination, with me as your guide to help you transform your old cabinets into designer-worthy cabinets that you would be proud to show off.

black and white kitchen cabinets redoux 2

If you are interested in learning more and would like some freebies and, again, a HUGE discount on my course through April 15h, 2024, I would love to send you some of my favorite tips for painting your cabinets. If you also want to learn how to repaint your cabinets, click the link HERE to grab some of my favorite Tip Sheets.

Black and White Kitchen cabinets redoux 3

If you have looked into Painting your cabinets and could not find the information you needed, or you received an estimate to have them painted professionally and were floored by the price tag, this course is for you.

Black and White kitchen cabinets redoux 4

In my course, you will get 30 minutes of video content, all broken into easy 5-minute or less modules covering everything you need to know to paint your kitchen and baths from beginning to end. Also included in the course are downloadable PDFs you can refer to anytime. Whether you like to learn by video, reading, or both, this course has all the information you need to create your dream kitchen or bath cabinetry.

Are you unsure if you can transform your old, tired cabinets? Then, you can grab my free content if you want a little info first! It’s free, and you will get a ton of helpful information when you click the link.  If you are ready to dive in, let’s go! Many people have downloaded the course and love learning How To Paint Kitchen Cabinets!

Thanks for stopping by. Happy Creating! -Karen

49 Comments

1. Lucy Designs

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! looks so great! thanks for sharing the process

2. Michele @ {Primp}

great job–I love the black and cream together too, also love you drawer pulls!

3. Vivienne @ the V Spot

I love this! it's gorgeous! (I need the motivation of company coming over too…

4. Elizabeth

I love this, everything looks fabulous! How are the chalk paint cabinets holding up to the kids and to general life?

Must also comment that there is nothing like a visit from family or friends to spur one into finisheing projects. I have a few myself that I must finish before the relatives come in Sept for a visit!

5. Vicky

What a fabulous transformation! I love the two colors together.

6. Karen

It looks fabulous, I love the color contrast. Will the wax hold up to the wear and tear of kitchen use like poly? I would rather use wax if it can stand being wiped down frequently without constantly reapplying.

7. bj

Hi, over from 504 Main..:)
    Your kitchen is adorable. I first thought, when you said you use AS paint, “wow, that must have been really expensive”..then I saw that you mixed paints.

I, too, have a two-toned kitchen. Here's the link

Come by to see my fun kitchen, too. 🙂
    xo bj

8. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage

It looks wonderful~ I love the dark mixed with the lighter and how your island came out! I would love for you to come share at Feathered Nest Friday at my blog sometime! 🙂

9. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking

So glad your accident turned into a gorgeous kitchen. I'm putting it in the PoPP Spotlight… thanks for linking up.

10. niartist

WOW! What a transformation. Oh you give me hope that I can do this myself one day!!!! Really, WOW. I'm bookmarking so I can remember this!!

I love transformations! I just turned my secretary into a bar area in my dining room. I really hope you'll stop by and check it out: http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2011/08/picture-is-worth.html

See you soon, I hope!
    Artie

11. Ellie

It's beautiful! Love the new look.

12. The DIY Show Off

Beautiful! I love the black and cream, I love the quote and your accents! We're still deciding on the color of the island for our kitchen. I know I want distressed and I'm thinking a dark stain next to the white (actually they're gray but look white) cabinets. Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring kitchen in the Roomspiration party! 😉

13. Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky)

What a great kitchen! I love black and whites together and it looks great on your cabinets. Great sink and counters too.

14. A Vintage Vine

O.K, Girlfriend…..Scottish ancestry?….ME too! Haha! I am now picking up my chin up off the floor! Your kitchen is incredible! I want to put a wash up on my top cabinets….got any suggestions! I do like your choice to go black! Everything in there is perfect! I was a fan of your creations before but now….I am a “Fan X 3″…Thanks for sharing!

15. ANNE

Looks fantastic, and very European. I just did my first chalk paint project, it IS good stuff…!

16. Rene

Cream and black together reminds me of Chanel – classic.

Thanks for sharing your kitchen in the Room By Room series!

Rene

17. anangloinquebec

Lovely, I especially love the pots hanging over the sink. Beautiful space!

18. Linda @ It All Started with Paint

That looks great! Last year I painted both my upper and lowers chocolate brown, but am rethinking perhaps lightening up the tops …

… it was a huge project … and I have a million other things to do first … and my husband would probably have me institutionalized!

19. Gwen @ The Bold Abode

It's so crisp and fresh. We have blackish granite and it is so washed out by the dark cherry stain on the cabinets…I've been toyin' with painting them…I do believe you've inspired me to get my butt in gear…What ratio did you use to thin the chalk paint? And is the finish as Matte as it looks in the photos? I really like it.

20. kirby carespodi

It looks great! (Coincidentally, I’m making my kitchen black and white this summer, too!)

21. Andi

Fantastique!!!

-andi

22. Hetty

Love the look of your new kitchen! wow, you worked hard..this is a fabulous transformation! Congrats.

23. cassie

WOW, Karen! it’s FABULOUS!!!!!! It’s so very you, too!

24. andrea

Man, when you get the yen to power through something, nothing stops you! Great job, LOVE the lower cabs in black, and I also love your prayer on the counter. That’s something I’ll keep in my back pocket for the future!

25. Dani

Your cabinets look great! You really did a good job. And I like the darker color on the bottom cabinets. It really makes your countertop pop. Have a great week.

26. cindy the cottage chick

Totally beautious!!! I love two tone kitchens, and hope to do something similar in my new house! Great visual inspiration…thanks 🙂

27. Patricia Krank

LOVE your kitchen re-do! Maybe part of it is because I just re-rid mine in the same colors. You’ve added some beautiful extra touches too. Blessings to you, Patti@OldThingsNew

28. Janice

What a great job! I just love it.

29. Savannah Granny

Your copper pots really caught my eye. The entire kitchen is fantastic. I enjoyed reading and seeing the process even tho I am too old to do that. I have wanted to paint my island a darker color, I might could pull off that. Thanks for the inspiration. I am following, xoGinger

30. Jill Flory

I LOVE it! the waxed look is so worth it if you can handle the time it takes! I hope to do wax finishes on my kitchen cabinets when i finally get to that project!

31. Linden Townhouse

This is fantastic!

32. Tanya

Gorgeous Karen!! I cannot wait to redo my kitchen, I hope it turns out as lovely as yours 🙂

xo, Tanya

33. Donna Allgaier-Lamberti

That was certainly a labor of love! I love the contrast between the cream and the black as well as the black and flooring. I also ADORE your beautiful long counter. What a pleasure that must be to serve (and eat) from!

A lovely job…congratulations!

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
    Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
    Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
    Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

34. Judy

Came over from MMS’s. Wow, the kitchen turned out beautifully. I love the island..Happy Friday..Judy

35. Danielle

Love the mix of black and white. Your kitchen really pops now. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays.

36. Roeshel

Woo hoo! Everywhere I look I see something I love! I think your happy accident led to an amazing result. It’s one gorgeous kitchen, black and cream is a great choice!

37. Scottiev

Still looks fabulous!!

38. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.

Oh wow Karen, your kitchen is striking! I love the contrast of the cabinets and your countertops and farmhouse sink really do shine now! Great hardware! And your copper pots just sparkle in the sunlight! You must be thrilled!

39. Mary @ Redo 101

Great job, looks fabulous!!! Saw your feature at Make it Pretty Monday, congrats!

Mary

40. Jane

Love your kitchen. Especially the bar stools. Can I ask where you got them?

Thanks

41. Debbie

Gorgeous kitchen. How are the finishes holding up? I found this blog post by searching for the image of the pot rack. Would you share your sources? Or post a DIY for the pot rack? Please??

Submit a Comment