Dark Walnut Stained Entry Table, The Easy Cheater Method

Furniture and Cabinetry Redouxs, Tutorials

1. Jayne says:

Just beautiful!!!

2. Awesome tips, Karen, and the table is GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing your brilliance!
    xo Heidi

3. elaine simmons says:

That is wonderful! Did you know you can get an even stain by using a wood conditioner? It evens out the darkness and lightness before you stain.

oh now that is stunning! love the shape and love its new look!

5. Brady D says:

Thanks for the tips, the table is beautiful. Is the grain on the left drawer (and other places) actually wavy all on its own, or is that an effect you did by hand with the modern masters?

• GTC says:

Hi Brady, the grain on the left drawer and sides where it is wavy is part of the natural wood grain. The table wasn’t really meant to be stained with grain showing, so the wood was a bit inferior. I really like the variation in grade though, and the imperfections just added to the overall character. Thank you so much for the sweet compliment!

What a difference—that is one beautiful console!

7. Wow! I LOVE your table!!! Beautiful!!!
    Thank you for sharing your great tips, burnishing with a grocery bag!?
    Interesting, I’m sure I’ll try that method.

Have a great week!!

8. Jodie says:

What a gorgeous table! I love the new product tips too- might have to give them a try! Amazing job : )

9. Jeannie says:

Hi Karen, great job as usual.
    Jeannie

10. Jan says:

It’s gorgeous. Thanks so much for using a dark wood stain. I think it truly brings out the beauty in the wood. A softly glowing dark finished piece of wood furniture against a light wall – perfection!

11. brooke says:

This is beautiful!! and I really really want to try out that stripper!!
    Thank you for linking up to my furniture and paint party!!

Brooke

12. Gorgeous!!! And oh my gosh….I have ADDD too!! Thanks for the medical term! 😉
    BTW, does picking a room to finish work? I should really try that. lol

Nancy

13. Gorgeous! Thank you for linking up to the Twirl and Take a Bow Party.

Trina

14. thanks for the info, she looks wonderful!!

15. Abby says:

So pretty! The wood look is lovely, and the stain color is gorgeous!

16. Angela says:

Could u please tell us the missing pieces to this beautiful job?
    What Stain colors and brand (hey brands matter right?)
    Wood conditioner brand too?
    Seriously no sanding between top coat and what sandpaper grits did u use through the process. Please:)
    I like the subtle beautiful variation in the tones.
    Thank you!!
    Dying to get my table makeover done!!
    Been searching for the look I want n I love yours!

• GTC says:

Hi Angela, I used Minwax Wood Conditioner, followed by Minwax Dark Walnut Stain. I don’t know if brand matters a whole lot, unless you are really getting into very high end pieces. I did sand the stained finish when totally dry, after 24 hours with a 320 grit sand paper, very lightly, then used a tack cloth to remove the dust. I applied several coats of CeCe Caldwell’s Endurance and sanded very lightly between coats (I was trying to achieve perfection, this isn’t always necessary). For the final coat, when it dried, I lightly buffed it with a piece of non inked side brown paper (like a grocery bag). This is a great trick for smoothing out a finish without scratching it. You can see more on this DIY video I did of how to use it. https://redouxinteriors.com/2013/10/cece-caldwells-mesa-sunset-and-how-to-use-endurance-video/ Thank you so much for the really sweet comments!

17. Hannah says:

This is great!! I always avoid stripping and/or staining like the plague. Great solution! 🙂

18. keya says:

Oh my, I don’t know how I missed this one, but it’s got me now. I LOVE it. perfection.