Hand Painted Signs With Silhouette Cameo and a Few Tips

Furniture and Cabinetry Redouxs, Tutorials

1. Breanna says:

I dream of the day I own one of these. Until then, I’ll be collecting all the tips I can!

2. Love all your ideas and inspiration! Neat little tutorial-thanks for sharing!

3. Cindy Gonzalez says:

I just bought a Silhouette Cameo but haven’t used it yet. I think you probably just saved me hundreds of hours of frustration. Thank you. Any more tips/videos/etc. would be very helpful!

• GTC says:

You are so welcome Cindy! I was so frustrated with my silhouette at first, then someone gave me some simple tips. I will definitely try to do some more tutorials, and or videos with it. Once you get it working, you will love it!

4. Jen Robb says:

Where do you get your vinyl at Karen?

Jen

• GTC says:

I bought some at Michael’s, but I don’t use vinyl anymore. For a one time stencil, I actually use contact paper, much cheaper, and for stencils I want to use again and agin, I get long sheets of vellum made for making stencils at my local Hobby Lobby. You can probably find cheaper sources online.

You crack me up! Putting this excellent tutorial on my FB.

• GTC says:

Ahhh, thank you!! It changed my crafty life!!! Look how many people are benefitting from your Silhouette wisdom!

6. Pamela says:

Thanx Karen! Mine is upstairs in the box after only using it three times. I have yet to figure out the font part of it all.

• GTC says:

I just had to dive in and use it. Now that I know how to work it, it has opened up so many possibilites. Get of the box when your boys go back to school and you can concentrate!

7. Sheryl says:

Love your tips…I love my Silhouette…I use over head projector sheets to cut resusable stencils super easy…your signs have inspired me…..thanks…..

• GTC says:

Thanks so much Sheryl! I used to use something similar, using the Silhouette has helped make things so much easier!

8. I def need to do more of these! I love my silhouette, but every time I think about making a sign, I don’t want to haul it out…and every time I haul it out, I don’t think of making a sign!

• GTC says:

So glad I inspired you. I need to go back and read this again to inspire myself! Sale coming up and I gotta make something to sell!

9. Joann says:

Thanks Karen for this great tut! I have done very basic things and if by chance I did import something to my it was pure luck. The prices for stencils are out of control. Gonna file this for “my go to” when needing to make & trace. You deserve another tiara! Thanks Chickie

Peace, Paint, & Popsicle Sticks, Jo

10. Nancy jamo says:

I have really enjoyed your instructions….thank you for sharing.

11. Bobbie says:

When applying the vinyl to painted signs, do you do it after it’s been waxed?

• GTC says:

Hi Bobbie, I don’t use vinyl, I stencil then paint. You can cut the stencils with a Silhouette machine. If you were using vinyl, I would not at all. If you put it on before, the vinyl won’t stick, if you do it after, you might rub it off. I would use a clear coat instead.

12. Kit says:

I have been debating between silhouette and cricket. I have heard S. Provides many more options but not as user friendly. Reading your post has helped me decide – thank you for your tutorial and listings of other tuts!

Kit

13. Christina says:

Hi, LOVE the tutorial. I too want to stencil and paint wood signs. I traced one with graphite paper, and omg so tedious to paint! I so need a stencil! From reading your tutorial, I would like to buy the silhouette machine. Can I put Vellum through the machine, like your one reader suggested? I would like to reuse the stencils, so want to have them last a long time.

14. Susan says:

Funny, I was using the Silhouette for really the first time doing some signs and realized that sticky notes were MANDATORY!!!! I tried to cut vinyl with my blade set for stencil plastic and ruined my sticky mat.

• GTC says:

Oh Susan, I have ruined 2 cutting mats myself before I went to the sticky note method! I don’t use my silhouette on a regular basis, so I would definitely forget all the settings if they weren’t taped inside the cover!

15. Banner Blog says:

Personalized Paris Silhouette Banner

[…] e. Can I put Vellum through the machine, like your one reader suggested? I would […]