Hand Painted Signs With Silhouette Cameo and a Few Tips

Furniture and Cabinetry Redouxs, Tutorials, Upcycled Decor & Accessories

Hand Painted Signs with Silhouette Cameo and a Few Tips

Who doesn’t love a few tips?  Especially when it comes to working with a Silhouette Cameo.  Disclaimer.  This is NOT a sponsored post for Silhouette.   Just my two cents about what has helped me figure out the foreign language of the uber fascinating Silhouette Cameo.  This Chalkboard Menu made from an old Cabinet Door was one of my first “Successful” projects with the Silhouette Cameo. Not bad!  I will definitely be using this stencil again and again.

If you are like me, you can’t get enough of hand painted signs. Just about every day I see a new sign I love.  They fill decorators catalogues, Flea Market Magazines, and just about every casual Home and Decor Magazine/ezine you can find now.

If you own a Silhouette Cameo, and it was HARD to figure out at first.

photo courtesy of google images

silhouette cameo

YOU are not ALONE!  The main reason I wanted to use a Silhouette was to make my own stencils to make Hand Painted Signs.  This was where the problems seriously began.

I couldn’t seem to figure out the darn software, how to import to their library, what settings to use, what medium to use, on and on until I just gave up and let it sit in a corner in my office collecting dust.  Then along came a certain blogger, whose name shall be withheld due to her request for privacy…but she knows who she is.  My redeeming angel!  She let me call her and walked me through some of the tough points.  From this point on, the cobwebs began to clear and I began to reach higher for more beautiful

Tip #1  This is the most important tip of all.  You will forget what worked on a certain cut and will have to reinvent the wheel if you don’t keep notes on what settings you used.  POST IT NOTES, on the inside cover of your Silhouette machine.  Like Cheat Sheets!  These changed my life.  SIGNS, you need the little signs for yourself inside the cover!

Tip #2 Make sure you have your cutting medium, vinyl, card stock, vellum, whatever in between these two plastic rollers, with equal parts of the medium firmly under those rollers.  If it is not attached, your cutting sheet will slip and slide all over the place and you will waste a bunch of medium/vinyl and patience.  I know I did!  You will not be making very nice looking Hand Painted Signs with your Silhouette Cameo if you don’t get this step straight.

IMG_6195

Tip #3 I like to import images.  I can’t be bothered to look through the images Silhouette offers or pay form some more.  You need to import it the Silhouette library. When you have the image you like in your library, click on the image and it will take you back to the cutting sheet.

VERY IMPORTANT PART.  When you input it onto the cutting screen, you have to choose the TRACE setting first.

Silhouette cameo import tips redouxinteriors

Set the trace lines, then make sure you TRACE and DETACH.

This is where the Silhouette Cameo is a little bit of a genius.  It will read the outline of your image, and without much work from you, read where to cut.  I can’t tell you how many times I forgot to do this TRACE, then wonder why the heck the medium was running through and no cutting was going on.

I made this Hand Painted Coca Cola Sign with just a stencil I made with my Silhouette Cameo!

Tip #4 Go to Youtube. There are tons of fabulous tutorials on how to do all kinds of things.  If you are a visual learner, this is especially helpful.  Also, Angie at Knick of Time Interiors is a whiz at her Silhouette and has some great tutorials on her site.

If you want more inspiration, check out Karin Chudy’s Art is Beauty.  She is not only a very talented furniture artist, but she is the queen of original stencils she cuts on her Silhouette Cameo.

This concludes my Hand Painted Signs with Silhouette Cameo and a Few Tips.  I hope you feel like this post was worth your time. If not, don’t complain to me.

Email Silhouette Cameo.

PS If you want to know what kind of paint I use for ALL my DIY projects, check out DIY Paint from Debi’s Design Diary.

It’s 100% Natural Clay Based Paint (like a chalk paint, but the color is so much richer because of the mostly clay base).  You can buy it online HERE or check HERE for your closest retailer.

Project-Inspired-Button-New1.png
Tip_Me_Tuesday_Button_TipJunkie-jpg

Upcycled Treasures

27 Comments

1. Breanna

I dream of the day I own one of these. Until then, I’ll be collecting all the tips I can!

• GTC

I bet you could find a good used one on Amazon. Good luck!!

• GTC

Thank you so much Michelle!

2. Cindy Gonzalez

I just bought a Silhouette Cameo but haven’t used it yet. I think you probably just saved me hundreds of hours of frustration. Thank you. Any more tips/videos/etc. would be very helpful!

• GTC

You are so welcome Cindy! I was so frustrated with my silhouette at first, then someone gave me some simple tips. I will definitely try to do some more tutorials, and or videos with it. Once you get it working, you will love it!

3. Jen Robb

Where do you get your vinyl at Karen?

Jen

• GTC

I bought some at Michael’s, but I don’t use vinyl anymore. For a one time stencil, I actually use contact paper, much cheaper, and for stencils I want to use again and agin, I get long sheets of vellum made for making stencils at my local Hobby Lobby. You can probably find cheaper sources online.

4. Bliss

You crack me up! Putting this excellent tutorial on my FB.

• GTC

Ahhh, thank you!! It changed my crafty life!!! Look how many people are benefitting from your Silhouette wisdom!

5. Pamela

Thanx Karen! Mine is upstairs in the box after only using it three times. I have yet to figure out the font part of it all.

• GTC

I just had to dive in and use it. Now that I know how to work it, it has opened up so many possibilites. Get of the box when your boys go back to school and you can concentrate!

6. Sheryl

Love your tips…I love my Silhouette…I use over head projector sheets to cut resusable stencils super easy…your signs have inspired me…..thanks…..

• GTC

Thanks so much Sheryl! I used to use something similar, using the Silhouette has helped make things so much easier!

7. kirby carespodi

I def need to do more of these! I love my silhouette, but every time I think about making a sign, I don’t want to haul it out…and every time I haul it out, I don’t think of making a sign!

• GTC

So glad I inspired you. I need to go back and read this again to inspire myself! Sale coming up and I gotta make something to sell!

8. Joann

Thanks Karen for this great tut! I have done very basic things and if by chance I did import something to my it was pure luck. The prices for stencils are out of control. Gonna file this for “my go to” when needing to make & trace. You deserve another tiara! Thanks Chickie

Peace, Paint, & Popsicle Sticks, Jo

• GTC

You are so welcome Joann and so glad it was helpful!

9. Nancy jamo

I have really enjoyed your instructions….thank you for sharing.

• GTC

Thank you so much Nancy, glad they were helpful!

10. Bobbie

When applying the vinyl to painted signs, do you do it after it’s been waxed?

• GTC

Hi Bobbie, I don’t use vinyl, I stencil then paint. You can cut the stencils with a Silhouette machine. If you were using vinyl, I would not at all. If you put it on before, the vinyl won’t stick, if you do it after, you might rub it off. I would use a clear coat instead.

11. Kit

I have been debating between silhouette and cricket. I have heard S. Provides many more options but not as user friendly. Reading your post has helped me decide – thank you for your tutorial and listings of other tuts!

Kit

• GTC

Thanks so much Kit! I am still learning, but so far I love my Silhouette.

12. Christina

Hi, LOVE the tutorial. I too want to stencil and paint wood signs. I traced one with graphite paper, and omg so tedious to paint! I so need a stencil! From reading your tutorial, I would like to buy the silhouette machine. Can I put Vellum through the machine, like your one reader suggested? I would like to reuse the stencils, so want to have them last a long time.

13. Susan

Funny, I was using the Silhouette for really the first time doing some signs and realized that sticky notes were MANDATORY!!!! I tried to cut vinyl with my blade set for stencil plastic and ruined my sticky mat.

• GTC

Oh Susan, I have ruined 2 cutting mats myself before I went to the sticky note method! I don’t use my silhouette on a regular basis, so I would definitely forget all the settings if they weren’t taped inside the cover!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Banner Blog - Personalized Paris Silhouette Banner [...] e. Can I put Vellum through the machine, like your one reader suggested? I would…

Submit a Comment