Fake Built In Bookshelf from Closet Organizers

Furniture and Cabinetry Redouxs, Tutorials

1. Love it! We have a window similar to yours with the same amount of space that we are putting built-ins in. I was graciously given some awesome pocket windows from an 1800’s home that I’m using for the front, and grabbed curbside side of a waterbed (I believe) that has built in drawers, and that’s going to be our window seat. Oh yeah, during city cleanup there were ample couch cushions, so I even have those for the top….just need reupholstered.

Great job, Karen!!
    ~ Larissa

such a great idea, karen! you’d never know it wasn’t a bookcase!

3. Diana says:

Nice job I love the grey and white together. Can’t wait to see the progression.

4. Nina says:

Love the idea. They turned out nice. We are in contract on a 50’s ranch where you walk right in to the living room. Hubby was thinking of building a pony wall and replacing a section of carpet with marble to define a foyer. As I was trolling Pinterest I came upon the idea of using a 2 shelf bookcase as I figured out there is hardwood underneath.

5. Brilliant!! Wonder what Cream of Chelan is?!

6. Blondie says:

Beautiful tranformation.

7. You are simply brilliant! Love!
    Blessings,
    Patti

8. I completely get the “grown up” house reference. I feel the same. What a smart fix, nothing plus a room together like built ins and going up is such a great way to utilize your space!!!! Looking lovely dahling. And oh so grown up!! 🙂

9. Deborah says:

Brilliant idea and a perfect fit in your space! You should see my house. I’m trying to dig out too!

10. Diane says:

Brilliant idea and looks great. I shared it on Pinterest!

11. Fabulous! I, too, love built in bookshelves. It was the first custom job we added to our living room. Next stop is converting the basement to a den complete with built-in shelves…of sorts. 🙂

12. Danielle says:

They look fabulous! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

13. Tanya says:

This is brilliant Karen, forwarding to a friend who is trying to create the same thing! xo

Great upcycle! And the perfect family library!

15. Aren’t you a smarty pants! Great idea and your room is looking fab. I’m featuring your bookshelf in the PoPP Spotlight.

16. love the color you painted them , and the accessories on top.

17. brooke says:

I love this idea!! I am featuring you night at my Furniture and Paint Party!!

brooke

startathome.blogspot.com

18. Devi says:

Well done!! I’ve been wanting to do a walk in closet over–it’s got wire shelving and drawers and there are many problems with it. I would love custom finishes. The Home Depot closets look cheap. This is a great idea for my closet

19. nosejob says:

Onnce you let a double-glazing salesman within your door he’ll almost
    certainly noot vanish entirely until you have signed his order form.
    Yess unfortunately awning windows seem to bbe much more
    high-priced than their sliding alternatives. Your initial step is to identify what
    yyou wish done on the house.

20. Dan says:

This has always been my dream! This is great, I’m going to try to build something like this in the future.

21. […] Technically, this is not a Bookshelf makeover. It is a makeover in reverse! We have two spaces in our front room that were begging for built in bookshelves. The cost of having builtins was more than we wanted to spend. I knew I could find a better solution. One day I was roaming the aisles of Home Depot and the idea came to me to get closet organizers! The space was perfect. I have two stacked on each side of the window. It was an easy fix and we couldn’t be more happy. Want to try your hand at this bookshelf project? Read all about it HERE. […]