I know you have all seen the amazing Antrho Numbered dresser that retails for $998, and the even more amazing knock offs. I am not attempting to replicate either one. Rather, my dresser is from the “School of Anthropologie” (if such a thing exists………..)
Last week I shared my “Shingle Dresser” I picked up off the curb. I actually saw a truck in front of me slow down, stop to look at it, then move on to find better curbside shopping goodies. Their loss, my gain!
I knew I wanted to create something unique that would play off the funky shape of this piece, and not try to camouflage it. Or course, this involved wheels and a new top. And of course, my CeCe Caldwell’s paints! I wanted to create a similar aged wood look to the original piece, so I studied the colors in the wood on the Anthropology website.
I used Georgia Clay and Mississippi Mud to begin with. My plan was to layer these two colors to create a base. I dipped a brush into the water first, then a little in the Georgia Clay. I repeated with the Mississippi Mud and blended the two together.
Most of the drawers are dry, but you can see the hints of red from the Georgia Clay, these colors will really come forward when I add a sealer of CeCe’s 100% natural Wax!
Now that my first layer is dry, I did a similar layer with just Virginia Chestnut. It looks like a mess, trust me, I know where we are going here. There is no right or wrong way to use these paints, just experiment!
Next I added the boards for the top. Pieces of leftover and reclaimed wood, secured to the top with wood screws. I did my first coat in a very watered down Vermont Slate. So thin that is like a wash. This method works great when you are painting raw wood. The wood really soaks up the color, but is still translucent so it looks almost like a stain. When this dried, I repeated with Seattle Mist. Now for the final stage. I mixed 1/4 cup of 100% natural CeCe Caldwell’s Glaze with about 2 teaspoons of Cinco Bayou Moss. I wanted a little more color, but the glaze allows it more fluidness, instead of soaking into the paint, the glaze will glide over it a bit. I then took a shop towel (paper towel) and wiped off the excess.
I added numbers to the side, simply by printing these from my Word program, and then using graphite tracing paper. I used a paint pen to fill the numbers in.
I added different map paper to each drawer. It was hard to get decent photos of each drawer, so here is the first, Ah Paris!
And here is le completed project. Maybe I should send it on to Anthropology….you never know if they might be looking for a new furniture artist 😉
Be sure to come back tomorrow to see what other fabulous finds I collected this week at Trashy Tuesday!
Disclaimer, this post made its debut two years ago. I believe in upcycling in every way, especially a dresser worth sharing twice….
CLOTHING, HOME DECOR, DIY PAINT, IOD TRANSFERS, & MORE . . .