If your family is anything like mine,  there are always a collection of shoes somewhere near the bottom of the stairs, or the front door.  We have tried several different systems to corral the shoes, but I always disliked the massive shoe pile that would eventually build.  My solution? Get a Drawer turned Shoe Storage!

Under Bench Storage Drawe banner RedouxinteriorsIf you follow Trashy Tuesday, you saw this drawer I found in a dumpster a few weeks ago.  It was solid, massive and just begging for wheels.

underbench drawer before 2 redouxinteriors

I turned the drawer over, and secured the wheels with screws.  I chose casters that can move in any direction, they cost a bit more, but will make the drawer far easier to use.    I sanded the entire exterior smooth and painted with one coat of CeCe Caldwell’s Traverse City Cherry.  When this dried I sealed the entire piece with CeCe Caldwell’s hard-wearing Endurance Finish.  This is a tough clear coat that can stand up to a lot of daily use, and shoes!

You May Also Like: How To Turn A Farm Table to A Plank Table

I lined the inside with old newspapers. I used ModPodge to decoupage them to the bottom of the drawer.  I did this process quickly, I wasn’t too concerned about the overall aesthetic look.  I used several coats to make sure I could wipe it down if necessary.   I added two large knobs I purchased from Hobby Lobby.  Shoe Storage almost completed!

Under bench storage lined with newspaper redouxinteriors

We are getting organized around here.  It has cost me almost nothing!  My cheap bookshelf turned rolling storage  holds my kid’s text books and binders.  The shoe storage drawer slides perfectly under my bench made entirely of junque.  If you missed Monday’s post, my closet organizers turned built in bookshelves, are holding a good collection of our books in my front room.

Under Bench Storage and organization area redouxinteriors

Can you believe I took this old drawer? To this fabulous shoe storage? You can too!

Dumpster Drawer to Shoe Organizer Redouxinteriors

It was cosmic perfection that the Free Drawer I found was the perfect dimension to slide right under my favorite Junque Bench!   (by the way, the cute Grain sack pillow is from Jill Flory at Sew a Fine Seam, she makes adorable things!)

Bench and drawer from junk redouxinteriors

signatureSharing My Drawer Turned Shoe Storage at these lovely parties:

DIY Show OffProject-Inspired-Button-New1.png

House on the Way

Savvy Southern Style
Glitter, Glue & Paint741302_10151387329451013_1242776520_o

Furniture Feature FridaysFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Drawer Turned Shoe Storage

19 Comments

1. Maria B

I found you on BlogHer. I love this idea and will have give it a try. Pinned and following on GFC
    Maria
    @ Krafty Cards etc.

2. Mary@Orphans With MakeUp

Hi Karen – Such a great idea. I can think of so many places where I could tuck one of those.

Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

3. cassie

perfect! love the fun color, too!

4. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.

What a fun and practical idea! And I love the pop of color!

5. Bliss

This is on my list of things to make. I need some under my bed. I was going to buy some then I saw the crazy prices for just ugly plastic ones.

6. kae

WOW!!!!! What a great idea just in the nick of time! I am refinishing a “man-robe” and want shelves instead of drawers. I was trying to figure out what I could do with those really sturdy drawers. Now I know…thanks so much.

7. Jill Flory

Great idea! I will have to try this for a storage solution for under my girls bed! And thanks for the shout out about the pillow 🙂

8. Audra @ Renewed Projects

Been meaning to convert some old drawers into toy storage under my kid’s beds. Thanks for the tip on the wheels that go in any direction. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

9. chrisb

Awesome idea! I live in a small mobile home, small bedroom, small closet, no storage space, as usual w/older mobile homes. This will get my shoes out of a laundry basket in my closet floor & under my bed, where I can access them them a whole lot easier than digging through a basket in a small closet! Thanks!!

10. Pam

That turned out very cute. Now I have something to do with all those single dresser drawers I find while thrifting.

• GTC

You and me both Pam. Who can leave just a drawer! So much potential!

11. Shauna

So smart! Love that beautiful red color!

• GTC

Thanks Shauna, I will definitely take smart any day!

12. DeDe@DesignedDecor

I have a few drawers in the garage, now I need to get busy! I love the big knobs you put on them too!

• GTC

Thank you. If there is a Hobby Lobby near you, that is where I purchased those oversized knobs. They are fun because they are to scale with the drawer.

13. Karen Marie Kedzuch

Karen,
    The free storage project out of a drawer is very creative. I have 2 drawers left over from a previous project. My Hubby wanted to throw them out. I said no. Now I know what to do with them.
    Thanks for sharing your creativity,
    Karen Marie
    Dragonfly & Lily Pads

• GTC

Thanks so much for your sweet comment Karen. Good luck with your drawers, so glad I inspired you 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. My Top Ten Best Junk Makeover - - […] Number 2 – Dumpster Drawer Turned Rolling Shoe Storage […]
  2. Trashy Tuesday How to Dumpster Dive for Free Furniture - […] Is your house literally full of junk?  Mine is, in a roundabout way.  If you are new here, take…
  3. Trashy Tuesday my 10 Best Furniture Upcycles - - […] and that drawer underneath? That was a Dumpster Find too.  It has served my family well as our shoe…
  4. Top 10 Bookshelf Upcycles - […] in kid’s rooms? I love storage that rolls under anything. I did a similar project with an old drawer…
  5. How To Get the Chippy Paint Look - […] You’ll Love This: Drawer Turned Shoe Storage […]

Submit a Comment